MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:25 PM   #16
Joe Black
Babbling Farker

Would you lease share your prep and target IT ? Thanks in advance.
Joe Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2018, 06:50 PM   #17
DefTaker
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
Would you lease share your prep and target IT ? Thanks in advance.
Sure thing!

The Chuckies don't need any trimming unlike brisket.

Just use whatever rub you like; I used S&P on one and Montreal Steak seasoning (McCormick's Grill Mates) on the other. Let it rest at room temp for 30 - 45 minutes while I'm getting my chimney of coals ready.

I bury about 5 - 6 (4 decent fist sized chunks) chunks of wood - for beef, I use post oak whether it's brisket, beef ribs, chuckies, etc. I'm sure you can use pecan, hickory or whatever you like.

The key though is to bury the wood underneath the charcoal - I just used KBB for this cook. Since this was a H&F cook, when my fully chimney is lit, I dump the hot coals over the entire bed of coals and buried wood in my WSM. (For low & slow, I use the Minion method aka donut method, etc.) But for Hot & Fast, I want all of my coals to be lit so I can get to around 350F.

Also -- I cook w/o the water pan in the WSM at this point!

For the first 2 hours, every 15 mins, I'll spin the grate 90 degrees to help the cook since the WSM will have hot spots; this way the meat cooks evenly. At the 2 hour mark, I'll spritz so the meat stays moist and the corners aren't burning. I'll also put the empty water pan back into the WSM. Do NOT fill it with water.

I put the pan back in since I want the temps to come down from 350F closer to 275 - 300F for the last 1.5 hours of the cook.

Keep spritzing & rotating the grill grate every 15 minutes; check temp for IT, I believe I got 207F on these.

Hope that helps!

(I gotta start keeping a journal to make sure that I have all the steps down!)
DefTaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-18-2018, 07:26 PM   #18
Joe Black
Babbling Farker

Thanks
Joe Black is offline   Reply With Quote