MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:32 PM   #1
pjk0159
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : PAUL
Default Standard Grill Smoker vs Offset Smoker. Almost the same thing...?

Hello everyone.

I'm new to this forum, but I've been a long time lurker. I want to quickly thank everyone who's contributed your knowledge here which, in turn, contributed to my better tasting Q.

So here's the deal. I've been recently looking to upgrade my cheap big box smoker to a decent offset smoker such as the Old Country Pecos or Wrangler.. But recently, I've come across the Old Country Cantina XXL grill (link here), which is an extra large charcoal grill that would have more than enough room to for the fire to burn on one side without giving off too much radiant heat to the meat. On the Cantina, there is a door hatch on the far right side, so loading/reloading wood would also be a breeze. Then this got me wondering if it would be just as capable as an offset smoker. Would I be able to make killer brisket with this as opposed to using an offset smoker? What are the cons that I can't think of?

The questions are endless! At this point, I would really appreciate if the pros here have any thoughts/input/exp on this. Thank you!

Last edited by pjk0159; 09-12-2018 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: correction.
pjk0159 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2018, 07:39 PM   #2
Inthewoods
Quintessential Chatty Farker

All yer endless questions will be answered as soon as the guys here finish their beer...I'm currently just starting ta tip em so I'm no help....welcome ta the forum

-D
Inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-12-2018, 07:40 PM   #3
pjk0159
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthewoods View Post
All yer endless questions will be answered as soon as the guys here finish their beer...I'm currently just starting ta tip em so I'm no help....welcome ta the forum

-D
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm very eager to hear what the BBQ masters have to say on this subject.

Cheers.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:25 PM   #4
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I'm sure you could mod up something to separate part of the cook chamber from the fire. Lots of us do this in our kettles.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2018, 08:35 PM   #5
Inthewoods
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjk0159 View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm very eager to hear what the BBQ masters have to say on this subject.

Cheers.
Better check that wallet at the door! These guys will steer ya in the right direction, but they love ta live vicariously through yer purchase...(s) lol!

While yer figuring which way ta go...do ya happen ta have 3 bills that aren't so terribly busy?

-D
Inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2018, 08:41 PM   #6
Lomey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I think it would work fine. Like said above, A lot of us do this with our Kettles. I know I do with no problem when I don't want to fire up my bigger smoker for smaller cooks.
Lomey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2018, 09:23 PM   #7
tom b

I'd spend another 100 get the over/under, burn sticks...

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #8
pjk0159
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
I'm sure you could mod up something to separate part of the cook chamber from the fire. Lots of us do this in our kettles.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I was thinking a simple 2 or 3 brick stack might even do it? And if it does perform just as well as an offset smoker, this would definately be my choice!! The comments so far are very encouraging

Old 09-12-2018, 09:33 PM   #9
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

(take this with a grain of salt...I'm probably wrong). For smoking in an offset I believe you need a hot fire with plenty of airflow (and sticks). For a kettle or kamado a low fire with minimal airflow carries the day (and lump/briquettes). I'm not sure how doing one in the other would work out.
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2018, 09:34 PM   #10
Joshw
Babbling Farker

I see a temp control nightmare coming your way. COS's are hard enough to maintain, I wouldn't go down that road. Not saying you couldn't turn out some good food. But you will pay with work, and aggravation.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2018, 09:54 PM   #11
pjk0159
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
I see a temp control nightmare coming your way. COS's are hard enough to maintain, I wouldn't go down that road. Not saying you couldn't turn out some good food. But you will pay with work, and aggravation.
Josh your comment is really interesting. Could you please explain wh the fire would be harder to maintain in a large chamber vs an offset box?

Old 09-12-2018, 10:15 PM   #12
Zin
is One Chatty Farker

pjk, it will work as good or better than an offset, will use less fuel than a typical offset. I have a 20"x36" 1/4" grill at my ranch. I cook briskets, chicken, sausage etc with no problem.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2018, 10:20 PM   #13
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjk0159 View Post
Josh your comment is really interesting. Could you please explain wh the fire would be harder to maintain in a large chamber vs an offset box?
First I am no expert, but I will give you my opinion.

First thing if you do what you are talking about, you are going to be losing at least a 3rd of your cooking area, and probably more.

Second, it isn't about maintaining your fire, it is about maintaining temps. If you build a fire in your cook chamber, you are going to have a lot of ambient heat very close to your food. The walls of the cook chamber are going to get hotter than normal, and radiate heat out. If you don't put a barrier in there, you will get more direct heat, if you do put a barrier in there, like bricks. The bricks will absorb the heat from the fire, and radiate out, creating hot spots. Also you are going to affect air flow. Heat and smoke rise. If you put a barrier that comes up to the bottom of your cooking grate, your exhaust is going to be just a few inches above your firebox. Smoke and heat will go up, and straight out of your pit. You need your fire lower than the meat.

Again, not saying it can't be done, but IMO, you aren't saving enough, to deal with the headaches, that I am almost certain will come with the savings.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2018, 10:23 PM   #14
pjk0159
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zin View Post
pjk, it will work as good or better than an offset, will use less fuel than a typical offset. I have a 20"x36" 1/4" grill at my ranch. I cook briskets, chicken, sausage etc with no problem.
Zin, thanks for sharing your experience. I certainly hope its just as you said. If true, there’s also an added benefit of cooking directly on top of the charcoal on the grill. This is starting to make me wonder if an osset really has any advantages over standard..

Old 09-12-2018, 10:57 PM   #15
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

A proper offset will give you less temp spikes and better temp control (yes even though offsets are still not the best for that). having the door in the RHS is OK, but you still have the fire (however small) in the same chamber. The principle on having an offest in the first place is to DISTANCE the fire from the meat and the distance is what smooths out the temp regulation.

So as mentioned above, you CAN do it but you can also get no sleep worse than with an offset. If that unit has the door on the RHS, it's probably so you can add a firebox. You should seriously consider spending the extra money for this.

Another thought would be to look around on CL and find something like this for cheap. learn on that and then spend the money later when you know more about what you want.

Cheers!
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote