Roast Beef, Potatoes, Carrots w/ Slow N Sear CB

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Finally, I get to grill something rather than being a grill repairman!

Tonite's dinner -

Roast Beef, Grilled Potatoes, Roast Carrots

All done out on the Weber Kettle using the Sear N Slow Charcoal Basket for the first time. I followed their directions for low n slow, lit a small section of charcoal, added unlit briquettes to the remainder of the basket and brought the Weber up to temp. I was trying to settle in around 250-275 F but was up around 300 or so. I'm still becoming accustomed to setting the vents on the Weber.

Roast was seasoned with Worcestershire and Weber Chicago Steak. To keep track of the potatoes I halved them, then skewered them onto the FireWire skewers which makes them easier to maneuver on the grill.

I set up the Smoke, ran the probe wires down through the vent holes and monitored temps while sitting back and relaxing. It's a tad difficult removing the lid to check things with the probe wires and the skewer wires but I managed. Had to move the potatoes onto the cooler side of the grill but things looked good.

Some pics -

I wasn't expecting completion in an hour and 15 minutes, but the Smoke says we're at 125 which is where I like it. Good thing I have the Golden's next to it to mount the Smoke to!

Roast and Potatoes off the grill, resting -

The carrots are now out on the grill and we're waiting for Mrs. lunchman to arrive home for dinner. I had thoughts of roasting these in the oven but hey, I've got a nice hot grill with plenty of coals!

This is what's left in the Slow N Sear. Plenty! -

I'm sure I'll get the hang of managing even lower temps on the Weber to get some low n slow smoking done.

Plated pics will be coming.

-lunchman

Finally, I get to grill something rather than being a grill repairman!

Tonite's dinner -

Roast Beef, Grilled Potatoes, Roast Carrots

All done out on the Weber Kettle using the Sear N Slow Charcoal Basket for the first time. I followed their directions for low n slow, lit a small section of charcoal, added unlit briquettes to the remainder of the basket and brought the Weber up to temp. I was trying to settle in around 250-275 F but was up around 300 or so. I'm still becoming accustomed to setting the vents on the Weber.

Roast was seasoned with Worcestershire and Weber Chicago Steak. To keep track of the potatoes I halved them, then skewered them onto the FireWire skewers which makes them easier to maneuver on the grill.

I set up the Smoke, ran the probe wires down through the vent holes and monitored temps while sitting back and relaxing. It's a tad difficult removing the lid to check things with the probe wires and the skewer wires but I managed. Had to move the potatoes onto the cooler side of the grill but things looked good.

Some pics -

I wasn't expecting completion in an hour and 15 minutes, but the Smoke says we're at 125 which is where I like it. Good thing I have the Golden's next to it to mount the Smoke to!

Roast and Potatoes off the grill, resting -

The carrots are now out on the grill and we're waiting for Mrs. lunchman to arrive home for dinner. I had thoughts of roasting these in the oven but hey, I've got a nice hot grill with plenty of coals!

This is what's left in the Slow N Sear. Plenty! -

I'm sure I'll get the hang of managing even lower temps on the Weber to get some low n slow smoking done.

Plated pics will be coming.

-lunchman
The SnS makes things harder, but when using the vents to control kettle temperatures, always aim for too low and let things settle. It's easy to open the vents a little to increase temperatures, but once the temperatures get too high, the only thing you can do is close everything up until the temperature goes down, then start again, let the temperature settle, and than put the food on.

Thanks for the pointers, I'm sure I'll become accustomed to its use. Yeah, vent control in the Weber takes some experimentation.

As an aside, this model for the 18" Kettle doesn't have the water reservoir. I didn't bother doing anything as far as adding moisture to the Kettle, which isn't something I'd normally do for a roast like this. Perhaps for a brisket or a Boston Butt...

I had planned on placing foil under the grate on the cool side, totally forgot. I've seen it in some of the SnS videos, wonder if it's helpful at all to direct airflow.

Looks good! I use the S&S a lot with good success. If it strays too far from target you can always use some tongs to remove a couple briqs and it’ll calm down fast. Kinda cheating but who cares...

Last edited:
Thanks for the pointers, I'm sure I'll become accustomed to its use. Yeah, vent control in the Weber takes some experimentation.

As an aside, this model for the 18" Kettle doesn't have the water reservoir. I didn't bother doing anything as far as adding moisture to the Kettle, which isn't something I'd normally do for a roast like this. Perhaps for a brisket or a Boston Butt...

I had planned on placing foil under the grate on the cool side, totally forgot. I've seen it in some of the SnS videos, wonder if it's helpful at all to direct airflow.
If you look at my signature, you will see that I've been using a kettle for a while.

picture.php

It's been decades since I stopped using a water pan, they just waste fuel once you learn how to use the vents. I never foil the coal grate, but I do use drip pans there.

If you run the kettle empty once, with the lower vent just cracked open, and the one in the lid open, notice the temps, and then open the bottom vent a hair at a time to see how it affects the kettle temp, you will know how to do it for anything. For me the hardest thing was taking the time to learn this. I can now set the vents, start the coals, and by the time I want to cook, things are stabilized at the temp I want.
If I can help, just post a question.

Nice cook. I have to say though, it looks a lot like the front of the Home Depot with all that anti-theft cabling.

Back