MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  



Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2019, 10:20 AM   #16
rwalters
Babbling Farker

 
rwalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-08-12
Location: Sacramento CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
For me I would say its like 80% of the flavor with 10% of the "work", but I agree generally. Personally, I like running a fire so I dont necessarily view it as "work" but regardless of what it is, life doesnt always allow me to do it. There was a time I ran my Shirley once or twice a week, and I will be able to do that again someday.

In the meantime I am quite happy with the results my Mak puts out - its "convenience factor" allows me to cook when I otherwise wouldnt have time...but if I am out to cook some people the best barbecue that *I* can, it's happening on the stick burner every time.


For me... stick burner screams RETIREMENT GIFT to self!!! Retirement can’t get here fast enough... lol.
__________________
MAK 2 Star -- 26.75" Weber kettle w/ SnS, Vortex and GrillGrates -- Camp Chef FTG 900
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->


Old 08-21-2019, 11:20 AM   #17
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker
 
jeffturnerjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-20-13
Location: Odessa, TX
Default

I like his channel. Great video
__________________
Husband, Father & Pastor. Offset Cooker made by Muscrat, Weber Kettle, El Cheapo Brinkman
jeffturnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-21-2019, 11:29 AM   #18
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 09-19-09
Location: Coast of Southern SLO County
Default

Nice! Well done video and while I am a bit disappointed by the results, I'm not surprised (I do Brisket on my BGE).

On the bright side, I saw the banner in the background and saw that there is a BBQ place in the Simi Valley that I drive by fairly often. I'll have to stop by and check it out on one of my next trips.
__________________
LBGEx2, Santa Maria Pit x2, 3 Sizes Weber kettle, BS 36" SS Griddle & Pizza Oven.
SoCalWJS is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 08-21-2019, 12:09 PM   #19
rwalters
Babbling Farker

 
rwalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-08-12
Location: Sacramento CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalWJS View Post
Nice! Well done video and while I am a bit disappointed by the results, I'm not surprised (I do Brisket on my BGE).



On the bright side, I saw the banner in the background and saw that there is a BBQ place in the Simi Valley that I drive by fairly often. I'll have to stop by and check it out on one of my next trips.


Yes... BBQ HQ is the BBQ store in the background. I wish I lived closer as it seems like an amazing place with owners/staff that have a TON of passion not only for the craft of BBQ but the community they live it.
__________________
MAK 2 Star -- 26.75" Weber kettle w/ SnS, Vortex and GrillGrates -- Camp Chef FTG 900
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 08-21-2019, 03:04 PM   #20
Mike Twangzer
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 06-20-14
Location: Moorpark Californis
Default Bqhq

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Yes... BBQ HQ is the BBQ store in the background. I wish I lived closer as it seems like an amazing place with owners/staff that have a TON of passion not only for the craft of BBQ but the community they live it.
Yes ..... BBQ Headquarters has a lot of stuff .... smokers ... grills .... rubs... etc..... and a pretty good price on pellets.!!!!
Mike Twangzer is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-21-2019, 06:02 PM   #21
Jcmhc
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Join Date: 12-17-17
Location: Wisconsin
Name/Nickname : Jason
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcmhc View Post
Is that right? I thought the consensus was that the Maks had the most stickburner-esque flavor profile?
My question may have gotten buried. Is it the case that yoders produce the closest thing to offsets?
Jcmhc is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-21-2019, 06:54 PM   #22
rwalters
Babbling Farker

 
rwalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-08-12
Location: Sacramento CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcmhc View Post
My question may have gotten buried. Is it the case that yoders produce the closest thing to offsets?


Honestly, I think that’s just a bunch of marketing hype! All pellet cookers are going to produce the same type of pellet smoke flavor... after all, they are all burning pellets. Although it is not identical to a stick burner flavor profile, it is still very good! Where you will find the difference between pellet cooker‘s is in the amount of smoke they produce. Some manufacturers have these cookers dialed in to a point where the smoke production is quite impressive, while others not so much. This sometimes turns into a silly debate… but I believe the reason you hear so many guys talk about the amazing smoke profile that MAK’s are known to lay down is because of how MAK has programmed the controller to interact with the variable speed fan that they use. I currently cook on a 2019 model and sold my 2017 model to a fellow brethren. The new owner of my 2017 model is actually working to dial the smoke back a bit with more mild pellets. How often do you hear that regarding pellet smokers? Here is a pic of my MAK in action. This was not at start up but rather one of the frequent smoke cycles that it goes through...
__________________
MAK 2 Star -- 26.75" Weber kettle w/ SnS, Vortex and GrillGrates -- Camp Chef FTG 900
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 08-21-2019, 07:07 PM   #23
angryelfFan
is one Smokin' Farker

 
angryelfFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-28-16
Location: Ann Arbor (but still a Buckeye fan)
Default

Just watched his beef rib video, not bad at all. I will watch more of his stuff.
__________________
Blackstone 36"
PK Original
Weber Smokey Mtn 18.5"
Humphrey's Battle Box
Shirley 24 x 42 Straight Back
angryelfFan is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 08-21-2019, 07:45 PM   #24
sudsandswine
Babbling Farker

 
sudsandswine's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-23-12
Location: Kansas City
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Honestly, I think that’s just a bunch of marketing hype! All pellet cookers are going to produce the same type of pellet smoke flavor... after all, they are all burning pellets. Although it is not identical to a stick burner flavor profile, it is still very good! Where you will find the difference between pellet cooker‘s is in the amount of smoke they produce. Some manufacturers have these cookers dialed in to a point where the smoke production is quite impressive, while others not so much. This sometimes turns into a silly debate… but I believe the reason you hear so many guys talk about the amazing smoke profile that MAK’s are known to lay down is because of how MAK has programmed the controller to interact with the variable speed fan that they use. I currently cook on a 2019 model and sold my 2017 model to a fellow brethren. The new owner of my 2017 model is actually working to dial the smoke back a bit with more mild pellets. How often do you hear that regarding pellet smokers? Here is a pic of my MAK in action. This was not at start up but rather one of the frequent smoke cycles that it goes through...

In regard to Maks, aside from the controller one of the main differences I have found is how they actually vent the smoke through slots in the back and sides versus a stack like many have. Just one of the things Ive been ponderin' lately : becky:
__________________
Shirley Fabrication 24x60 | Primo XL kamado | Red Weber Limited Edition kettle | Mak 2 Star | Blackstone 36" griddle | Weber Ranch kettle
sudsandswine is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-21-2019, 08:34 PM   #25
arclite
is one Smokin' Farker

 
arclite's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-18-15
Location: Chicago
Default

Interesting nobody is factoring price.

Meadowcreek - $9995
Yoder - $4000

And I'll optimistically assume his offset can be custom built for between the cost of the Yoder and Meadowcreek.

If we're just talking one brisket, which the majority of pharkers cook on a weekend, is it really worth the difference compared to:

Kamado Joe - $1200
Weber Kettle W/Slow 'N Sear - $265

?
__________________
Primo Jr., Weber 22.5 OTG w/Rotisserie & Vortex, DigiQ DX2, Thermapen, KCBS

Last edited by arclite; 08-21-2019 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: changed the kettle price to a one touch
arclite is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-21-2019, 08:44 PM   #26
tom b
Babbling Farker

 
tom b's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-12-15
Location: Temecula, CA
Default

do you polish that after every cook or what

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Honestly, I think that’s just a bunch of marketing hype! All pellet cookers are going to produce the same type of pellet smoke flavor... after all, they are all burning pellets. Although it is not identical to a stick burner flavor profile, it is still very good! Where you will find the difference between pellet cooker‘s is in the amount of smoke they produce. Some manufacturers have these cookers dialed in to a point where the smoke production is quite impressive, while others not so much. This sometimes turns into a silly debate… but I believe the reason you hear so many guys talk about the amazing smoke profile that MAK’s are known to lay down is because of how MAK has programmed the controller to interact with the variable speed fan that they use. I currently cook on a 2019 model and sold my 2017 model to a fellow brethren. The new owner of my 2017 model is actually working to dial the smoke back a bit with more mild pellets. How often do you hear that regarding pellet smokers? Here is a pic of my MAK in action. This was not at start up but rather one of the frequent smoke cycles that it goes through...
__________________
MAK 2 Star General, Built in Santa Maria Pit, Weber Performer Deluxe 22 w/CB Rotisserie, Blackstone Pizza Oven, Bayou Classic 36" offset, WGA
tom b is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-21-2019, 08:47 PM   #27
rwalters
Babbling Farker

 
rwalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-08-12
Location: Sacramento CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
In regard to Maks, aside from the controller one of the main differences I have found is how they actually vent the smoke through slots in the back and sides versus a stack like many have. Just one of the things Ive been ponderin' lately : becky:


Oh yes, I have pondered that many times myself. I can’t help but think it’s another reason for the more pronounced smoke profile that so many report. With rear venting at grate level vs a stack... it’s definitely gonna hold onto smoke longer before exiting. Yes, the smoke seeps out the sides... but it’s still much slower than a wide open stack.
__________________
MAK 2 Star -- 26.75" Weber kettle w/ SnS, Vortex and GrillGrates -- Camp Chef FTG 900
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-21-2019, 10:51 PM   #28
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 10-01-17
Location: North Texas
Name/Nickname : EL Luchador
Default

These guys are lucky they didn't test a uds. It would have been game over for all the rest :)

Good video.

I'll stick with my set and forget lump charcoal burner
__________________
3 of the top 5 teams in KCBS TOTY, AND the no1 team in Pork were cooking on UDS. AMEN!
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-22-2019, 08:02 AM   #29
rwalters
Babbling Farker

 
rwalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-08-12
Location: Sacramento CA
Default Blind taste testing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
These guys are lucky they didn't test a uds. It would have been game over for all the rest :)

Good video.

I'll stick with my set and forget lump charcoal burner


Would have loved to see a UDS in the lineup! :)
__________________
MAK 2 Star -- 26.75" Weber kettle w/ SnS, Vortex and GrillGrates -- Camp Chef FTG 900
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-22-2019, 12:31 PM   #30
mcyork28
is One Chatty Farker

 
mcyork28's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-15-13
Location: West Linn, OR
Default

Backyard sized offsets are a lot less money though. You could probably make the same comparison with a Lang 36 which runs <$2000.



Quote:
Originally Posted by arclite View Post
Interesting nobody is factoring price.

Meadowcreek - $9995
Yoder - $4000

And I'll optimistically assume his offset can be custom built for between the cost of the Yoder and Meadowcreek.

If we're just talking one brisket, which the majority of pharkers cook on a weekend, is it really worth the difference compared to:

Kamado Joe - $1200
Weber Kettle W/Slow 'N Sear - $265

?
__________________
LSG 20x42
BPS Drum
Blackstone 24
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Forum Custom Search: Enter your Search text below. GOOGLE will search ONLY the BBQ Brethren Forum.
Custom search MAY not work(no display box) in some configurations of Internet Explorer. Please use compliant version of Firefox or Chrome.







All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts