Vegetable Catagory

lazyjacres

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Anyone got a good vegetable recipe for a veggie catagory at a contest that I'm in this weekend?
I haven't done vegetables before. I was thinking maybe a stuffed bacon wrapped jalapeno?

Around here, bacon usually wouldn't fly in a vegetable category. Sweet Potato's seem to be a pretty common choice.

I also just toss them with some evoo and your favorite rub works well also

We like doing roasted kernel corn on the grill. We use frozen corn (4 bags containing 5 servings). Season with a rub of your choice to taste, add a stick of butter to the aluminum half pan, chop up some garlic real fine, and cook till the kernels start to get a little roasty. For presentation, use full lettuce leaves to create a 'bowl' to scoop the corn in. In veggies and beans, the judges usually have utensils to use - but I'd find out first.

You can also do grilled corn on the cobb with the same seasoning, garlic, and butter. Just melt the butter and make a slather, then apply regularly while grilling, and to finish.

Good luck.

Anyone got a good vegetable recipe for a veggie catagory at a contest that I'm in this weekend?
I haven't done vegetables before. I was thinking maybe a stuffed bacon wrapped jalapeno?

Peppers are a fruit not a veggie in my opinion.

....and others feel I would be wrong. This is similar to the Shellfish debate that comes up now and again. On Veggies vs. Fruits Wiki has this...

The word "vegetable" is a culinary term, not a botanical term. The word "fruit" on the other hand can be a culinary term or a botanical term.
Botanically speaking, fruits are fleshy reproductive organs of plants, the ripened ovaries containing one or many seeds. Thus, many botanical fruits are not edible at all, and some are actually extremely poisonous. In a culinary sense however, the word "fruit" is only applied to those botanical fruits which are edible, and which are considered to be a sweet or dessert food such as strawberries, peaches, plums, etc.
In contrast to this, a number of edible botanical fruits, including the tomato, the eggplant, and the bell pepper are not considered to be a sweet or dessert food, are not routinely used with sugar, but instead are almost always used as part of a savory dish, and are salted. This is the reason that they are labeled as "vegetables".
A plant part may scientifically referred to as a "fruit", even though it is used in cooking or food preparation as a vegetable.

I would ask for clarification before the event as I think it might DQ.

Peppers are a fruit not a veggie in my opinion.

....and others feel I would be wrong. This is similar to the Shellfish debate that comes up now and again. On Veggies vs. Fruits Wiki has this...

The word "vegetable" is a culinary term, not a botanical term. The word "fruit" on the other hand can be a culinary term or a botanical term.
Botanically speaking, fruits are fleshy reproductive organs of plants, the ripened ovaries containing one or many seeds. Thus, many botanical fruits are not edible at all, and some are actually extremely poisonous. In a culinary sense however, the word "fruit" is only applied to those botanical fruits which are edible, and which are considered to be a sweet or dessert food such as strawberries, peaches, plums, etc.
In contrast to this, a number of edible botanical fruits, including the tomato, the eggplant, and the bell pepper are not considered to be a sweet or dessert food, are not routinely used with sugar, but instead are almost always used as part of a savory dish, and are salted. This is the reason that they are labeled as "vegetables".
A plant part may scientifically referred to as a "fruit", even though it is used in cooking or food preparation as a vegetable.

I would ask for clarification before the event as I think it might DQ.

I thought of this also, so I went to the University of Missouri's Ag Dept web site, and they have them listed in their vegetable section.

Back