MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #11656
cjs27410
Knows what a fatty is.

Here's mine. I used screen spline to cover the sharp edge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (32.0 KB, 887 views)
cjs27410 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #11657
Wahoo95
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs27410 View Post
Here's mine. I used screen spline to cover the sharp edge.
Perfect...thanks!
Wahoo95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #11658
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo95 View Post
What are you guys using to secure your side mounted thermometers.....to keep them snug and steady in the drum? I have a cork on mine but it loosens and allows the thermometer to move

Also looking for ideas on how to route my temp cords into the smoker without going through the exhaust ports or under the lid? I was thinking about cutting a couple of small notches in the rim of the drum so that the cords can recess down in there while still allowing the lid to seal.

This is what I used for mine.

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2014, 03:01 PM   #11659
Wahoo95

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITBFQ View Post

I have one of those but can't get the clip of my temp probe to fit thru it. I guess it would work great for the thermometer I have mounted into the drum.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:34 AM   #11660
Jah62370
Found some matches.

Thumbs up

I just went simple and drilled two 1/4" holes near the top of my drum and used a rubber grommet in each to protect the probe cords. I don't believe 2 holes that size will make that big of an impact on the air flow. Just my opinion.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:34 PM   #11661
jdwest
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

All i did on mine was drilled a 3/8 hole in the side and used a rubber grommet so it would get torn up.
jdwest is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2014, 04:21 PM   #11662
N2entropy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default must be single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo95 View Post
My UDS is almost complete. All that's left is I need to spray the drum with some navy blue paint, however the weather hasn't been cooperating the last few weeks as its been too rainy or cold for painting. I decided to go ahead and hit it with some high heat primer to and go ahead and take it for a test burn. I must say I am thoroughly impressed with this thing! Initially my temps shot up to almost 400 degrees while I was getting things sorted out and I had a hard time getting them to simmer down, however eventually it came down and settled in at 250deg after about an hour. Amazingly it held between 240-260 degrees for the next 13 hours! I only shut it down because I woke up to rainfall but it still had plenty of coal left to burn.

Thanks to all who've contributed so much info to this thread as I'm looking forward to many good cooks out of this new UDS!

My wife would kill me if I kept my drum in the bed room! looks good though.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:32 PM   #11663
Wahoo95

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2entropy View Post
My wife would kill me if I kept my drum in the bed room! looks good though.
Its just an extra bedroom/guestroom so no issues....plus that was before it go at smokey :)

On another note, got it running today with the flat lid and realized I had some flow issues. After a detailed look over I realized the lid was slightly bent and that one of the intakes was loose...loose enough to cause airflow issues. Gonna add some conduit washers to tighten them down.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:26 AM   #11664
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

Has this thread reached it's limit?

Old 01-28-2014, 10:21 AM   #11665
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Hope not......
RT is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #11666
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Build a UDS.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #11667
jeeptime1
Got rid of the matchlight.

Wow! I finally are it through this epic thread. I may have skimmed a few thousand posts I am looking forward to my own UDS. I will start out with the KISS method. I really like a lot of these mods though.
jeeptime1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2014, 03:51 PM   #11668
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

Mine started as the kiss method also and has progressed from simple to 3 shelves, a dome lid, a shelf, 3 thermometers, extended air pipes (old fart mod) and two Maverick digitals and 4 wheels.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:46 AM   #11669
BC2_BBQ
Got Wood.

I have built two new UDS's for this year’s competition season. I have looked for a supply of domed lids that will fit a 55 gallon drum. To date have been stymied thus far. I know that one can purchase used 22 ½ inch smoker or grill and modify the lid to fit. In my search I found a great company "Toledo Metal Spinning" that could make them. They are wondering if there is an interest in the BBQ community to make these and have them as a standard item. These would fit a standard 55 gallon drum with no additional modifications. If you are interested in them doing this PLEASE email Jeff Earley at [email protected]. He is going to keep track of how much interest there is. This would give the BBQ community a source for UDS lids. Please spread the word on other BBQ Forums. Thank you for your help.
BC2_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2014, 08:02 AM   #11670
Drunk Monkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITBFQ View Post

What is that and where can I find one?

Also (sorry I am being lazy) what do you guys use to secure the vertical intakes to the drum for added stability. Thanks

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker