Anything But Catagory...Who does what??

getyourrubonbbq

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
What do you guys do for the Anything But Catagory? With MIM it's anything but pork, How about KCBS???

Depends on the contest and the organizer. This weekend in Springfield MO it was Anything But Meat, but you could still do fish.

Most of the ones out here are literally Anything But the four KCBS meats. It includes desserts, unless there is a separate dessert category. I've seen wild game, paella (with a lobster for garnish!), and been beaten by lasagna.

We have done blacken catfish before with success... Just place a cast Iron skillet over your grill and heat it up hot! And blacken your catfish (or fish of choice) for 4 mins per side. The carry-over heat will finish cooking while turning in your fish!

Well I have been know to push the boundries a little, I did a chineese dumpling in a miso soup this last weekend, With a seaweed and chive garnish. Didn't fair too well, 30ish something.

I have also turned in a chocolate covered bacon cup filled with creme brulee, And topped with a raspberry mouse.That also tanked,Like 45th.
But i have fun thinking up something different. Kinda out of the box type thinking.

NewHolland049-1.jpg

Our first anything but was this w/e in Salisbury, we had no clue what to turn in either so I decided on something easy that we do a lot.

Spatchcocked a chicken, smoked it on the wsm, pulled and made quesadillas. Added some sour cream and homemade salsa. 5th outta 62.

View attachment 26409

View attachment 26410

Last edited:
What do you guys do for the Anything But Catagory? With MIM it's anything but pork, How about KCBS???

It depends on when the turn in time is.

If its Friday night. Go with grilled steak or seafood.. preferably both, surf and turf.

If its a 5th category on Saturday, after all the KCBS entries, go with dessert.

It depends on when the turn in time is.

If its Friday night. Go with grilled steak or seafood.. preferably both, surf and turf.

If its a 5th category on Saturday, after all the KCBS entries, go with dessert.

I concur.

Check with the event's organizer. See if they have a list of previous winners (might be a pattern)

Thanks thillin, DIVA, etc...MC that is an awesome looking dessert!

Ours was a Friday night comp, anything butt was 7pm and then dessert was 8 pm turn in. Some people turned in lobster, crab pizza, chateabriand (sp??), etc. We took the easy route since we had never entered one. I am not sure what type of dish won.

We had a choice between a reg. clam shell and a foil pan. We took the foil pan because we could cram more into it. Id' recommend trying it out, it's a lot of fun!

PITP was no xtra entry fee and a grand for 1st place in both categories.

Those look awesome!
I'll bet the red onion added a very pleasing crunch to the 'dillas.:biggrin:

When I do anything I do armadillo eggs.
Gotten 2,3,8 with them in the 3 comps I did them. Big hit!

Back