MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:59 PM   #1
costaricasmoker
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Pig head on the beach

I went to the local mercado here in Costa Rica today with the munchies and came home with a pig head for $4. I dont usually get head so any suggestions? I'm thinking Ill rub it down and smoke it at 250 overnight.
costaricasmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2014, 08:06 PM   #2
crazej
Got Wood.

What part of the head do you eat?
crazej is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2014, 08:08 PM   #3
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Cheeks are to DIE for.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-31-2014, 08:10 PM   #4
Drunk Monkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drunk Monkey

I have no help for you there.

Where in CR are you from? My parents have a place near Jaco. They just finished building a rachito. So far my suggestions for a nice brick smoker have not come to fruition.

What kind of hard wood is common for smoking?

Old 01-31-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
Garrett
Babbling Farker

$4 is pretty cheap for head!!!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:18 PM   #6
captmoby
On the road to being a farker

Smoke it as you said. Trim and eat all the good stuff, cheeks etc. Then boil out what is left and make head cheese.
Yum!
captmoby is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-31-2014, 09:23 PM   #7
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

I was at my local Wind cell phone store last month and had a great conversation trading cooking stories with the staffer there. He and his brother bought a pig's head. It still had hair on it so they had to clean it up quite a bit. We didn't talk too much about seasoning, more about the finished product. He said it was excellent and they invited friends over for a feast. They baked it in the oven slowly and had many interesting and delicious bites. I'm pretty sure they ate the whole thing roasted and loved it. Smoking it should be even better than roasting it indoors in the oven. I could call the store tomorrow to see if he's working and ask for more details if you are interested. Let me know.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2014, 09:36 PM   #8
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Wow!!!! Never seen one sold.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:37 PM   #9
costaricasmoker

Im south of Jaco about an hour in Playa Dominical. I use lychee wood since my farm was once a fruit orchard. Also guava, guayaba, guanabana are nice light fruity smokes.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:39 PM   #10
costaricasmoker

I put it in and will smoke til morning. Cheeks will be the highlight then definatley making head cheese anyone have a good recipe?

Old 01-31-2014, 09:55 PM   #11
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by costaricasmoker View Post
I dont usually get head so any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
$4 is pretty cheap for head!!!
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-31-2014, 10:00 PM   #12
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Im south of Jaco about an hour in Playa Dominical. I use lychee wood since my farm was once a fruit orchard. Also guava, guayaba, guanabana are nice light fruity smokes.
You don't know how much I'd pay for some milky guanabana juice right now.

A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2014, 10:24 PM   #13
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

How about cooking it in an underground pit.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2014, 10:33 PM   #14
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I am so jealous of your being able to smoke meat with those kinds of wood. Wow. The brightest idea I've been able to come up with is to roast breadfruit on a rotisserie.

Smoothsmoke, can you get bottled or canned guanabana juice, or the fresh fruit, where you live? (We call it soursop.)
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2014, 10:40 PM   #15
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy's Smokin' View Post
I am so jealous of your being able to smoke meat with those kinds of wood. Wow. The brightest idea I've been able to come up with is to roast breadfruit on a rotisserie.

Smoothsmoke, can you get bottled or canned guanabana juice, or the fresh fruit, where you live? (We call it soursop.)
No fresh fruit here, the best I've been able to do is get some frozen puree by Goya. Not really the same. I brought some guanabana seeds back from Colombia a few years back, but they never sprouted.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote