rib bend test?

bobaftt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
How do you do a bend test? have 1 whole rack and 3 half racks of baby back ribs that I am planning on doing the 2-2-1 method for. what sauce should use?

When you think they are close to done pick them up and see how far they bend. It they are done they will bend very easily. If they are not done they will hardly bend at all. The danger with his is if they are over done the rack will probably break. i usually use my black meat handling gloves and pick them up gently in the middle and slowly lift them to see how they are bending.

I discovered this method by accident and then read about it here later. The best ribs I've ever Q'd to date came when I went to look to see if the ribs were done (having left them on longer than I initially intended to). I picked up a rack using my hands in the middle of the rack and they bent and mildly started to split, at the bend where I was holding them. It was obvious they were totally done so I took them off. They ended up being my best ribs yet.

So, that is the method I use now. Pickup the rib rack in the middle, let them bend naturally or give them a little help to bend with your other hand. If the meat starts to split like you could easily break the rack in half the ribs are done to perfection. Note: my personal preference is for ribs on the more well-done side, I don't like ribs that are chewy or still have un-rendered fat in them.

At least, this is my interpretation of the bend test.

BBQAnthony

If you are cooking dry ribs, I find that when the rack bends and the crust cracks in a few places the ribs are perfect. This is for a rib with some tooth, and how both restaurants I have worked at would pull them. However with a thicker, meatier trimmed rib sometimes they will not bend and you need to pinch the meat between the bones to see if it is tender.

I got a pair of the gloves from Texasbbqgrub, Liked them so much wanted to get some more.
Found the same gloves at http://asafetysupply.com/detail.aspx?ID=711
Much cheaper here, not sure how it would work out if you only wanted 1 pair when you factor in shipping, but I got a couple pairs and also a bunch of the cheapo disposable type gloves for about 30bucks shipped. Just a thought. Check around you might find them cheaper still.

Im interested in buying a few pair of these gloves. It asks what style Smooth or rough??... which one do you fellas prefer?

I have two pair that I got from Texas BBQ Rub, they are not really rough, they are slightly textured as opposed to a real shiny smooth.

I've found these types of gloves all over. Go for about $2 a pair and they work great for pulling pork and moving meat around on the smoker.

Wal-Mart (check the fishing department)
Big-Lots
hardware store (check the cleaning supply section)
even the Dollar Tree stores often carry them

_t0304-gloveswonder.jpg

Preformed-PVC-Gloves-have-Knit-Wrist-Large-B0000DYFJK-M-A1787XOD7Q2I4M_.jpg

I've found these types of gloves all over. Go for about $2 a pair and they work great for pulling pork and moving meat around on the smoker.

Wal-Mart (check the fishing department)
Big-Lots
hardware store (check the cleaning supply section)
even the Dollar Tree stores often carry them

_t0304-gloveswonder.jpg

Preformed-PVC-Gloves-have-Knit-Wrist-Large-B0000DYFJK-M-A1787XOD7Q2I4M_.jpg
You forgot to mention that the blue gloves were faster:biggrin:

You'll also want to pay attention to how the meat pulls away from the bone. You can see in slamdunkpro's picture how the bone has begun to show about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

Since JP posted this link, I've been using the "toothpick test" with consistently satisfying results.

"The toothpick test. Jack Waiboer, a champion cook from South Carolina likes the toothpick method. "You poke a toothpick into the meat between the bones. When it slides in with little or no resistance you have a done rack of ribs. It's best to test various parts of the rack to be sure you have them done to your liking. With a little practice you can better judge the doneness of your ribs than the bend test. I hesitate to use the word accurate in a barbecue conversation. After a few beverages accuracy seems to depend on the quality of the bourbon."

Nothing works like a visual:
ribs-flex.jpg

That's a perfect representation. The only thing I might add is (for me anyway) if the meat just begins to crack when you hold the rack like that they are done perfectly. Wrap them up in foil and let them rest in the cooler for a while....or go ahead and eat them. The rest makes them a little more tender in my opinion.

Back