• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Nevada Kiwanis BBQ, Nevada, IA, 8/28-8/29, 2009

B

Buster Dog BBQ

Let the smack talk start. Last sanctioned contest in Iowa. For those in the Iowa BBQ Society the point total for each category is incredibly close.

All I can say is for this contest I sure hope they get good judges with so much on the line.

Also unlike last year, I am told we don't be on a hill this year. Supoosed to be in the campground or the lower flat area. More details to come.

Apps are on the IBS site. iabbq.org.

See ya there.

We'll be there defending our 24th out of 27th placement overall from last year. ;-) Looking forward to it.

Heard they might have some problems getting 25 teams...

Heard they might have some problems getting 25 teams...

With the other fall cancellations in IA, one would think this would be to Nevada's advantage. We'll be there, sent in our app today.

I hope this is in an RV park - if so, I suggest we get a bunch of teams to stick around Saturday night and have a little year end celebration (year end for KCBS sanctioned comps in IA).

My math has Boondoggle .00005 behind Tippy Canoe and .0001 behind A Boy and His BBQ in pork. Hoping for a good score so we can dump the 164.0000 from LPC. Our ribs can finish no lower then a 169.0000 average. A 170+ brisket score could give us a chance to jump into the top 5 there too. But alas, even a 180 chicken would not put us in the top 5 - shocking, I know :roll:.

With the other fall cancellations in IA, one would think this would be to Nevada's advantage. We'll be there, sent in our app today.

I hope this is in an RV park - if so, I suggest we get a bunch of teams to stick around Saturday night and have a little year end celebration (Year end for KCBS sanctioned comps in IA)

My math has Boondoggle .00005 behind Tippy Canoe and .0001 behind A Boy and His BBQ in pork. Hoping for a good score so I can omit the 164.0000 from LPC. Our ribs can finish no lower then a 169.0000 average. A high brisket score might put us up in the top 5 there too. But alas, even a 180 chicken would not put us in the top 5.

What a great idea! I don't think it is in an rv park, but I remember they didn't have problem with electricity last year. Either way, we'll stick around, and if people want to take turns driving to my place to shower up or anything, that would be fine as well.:-D

Sending the app today. I am up for sticking around Saturday night. That is unless I bomb like I did in Mason City :eusa_clap

We'll be there.

Hey Bob, this campground is very small. I don' think they could get everybody in it but maybe there is more to it than I remember.. And the power has always been ify.
I ran off a generator last year.

I just got a call from FC, Here's a run down of what I asked and his feedback:

Location - on some old tennis courts. Now I'm not sure how many tennis courts, but I don't know what to expect to get in 25-40 teams on that. He said something about teams requesting level space

Space Size - at least 20x20, request something larger if you need it. I mentioned to him that most of the regulars around IA have trailers larger then 20' long

Elect - he mentioned that elect has not been a problem in the past, we'll all have access to run an extension cord. I asked if he means regular household power (20 amp) and he said yes. I asked if we could run two lines and he didn't think that would be a problem

Saturday night - he didn't think it would be a problem if teams wanted to stick around Saturday, but he wasn't the final word

Anyone know anything about these tennis courts/location he's talking about?

Yeah they are right to the west of where everything was last year. I don't think there will be enough space for everyone on them, but perhaps some will be on them and some on grass. I think the unlevel spaces were the worst part of the event last year--otherwise a good competition. FC is a great guy. The problem with finding the location is that they want the comp to be close to where all the people are, but the carnivale rides and vending takes up a lot of the useable space in the area. At the same time, for electricity they need to locate us close to the lodge which houses it. The lodge is located at the top of a small hill the slopes towards the creek, hence the unlevel spaces.

I thought we were going to tip over last year due to how unlevel it was.

I remember seeing a lot of cords plugged into that house with the power.

Ryan, I'm trying to google map the location. Roughly what intersection are we looking at? The only tennis courts I see are at 4th and I Avenue near the west side of town. Is that the location?

OK, who's got enough power that we can share some generator power? I can offer parsley.

OK, who's got enough power that we can share some generator power? I can offer parsley.

My father-in-law has a huge honda generator. Not sure how much power it puts out, nor if he is cool about the idea of us using it. When he gets back from Alaska later this week, I will check.

The location is between the huge cemetary on the west side of town and the county fairgrounds. I'll get a link in a moment.

Ryan, I'm trying to google map the location. Roughly what intersection are we looking at? The only tennis courts I see are at 4th and I Avenue near the west side of town. Is that the location?

Yes this is the location. Just to the east and alond I Ave is the building where turn-ins and awards is.

Carnival rides? Where do they go? Fitting 30 teams around those 3 tennis courts is gonna be tight.

The carnival rides go to the south closer to the creek. I would imagine if teams don't care about an unlevel spot, they could still go around the shelter.

The way they did it last year was first come, first serve as far as spots go.

I thought that was the strangest thing last year. It was so quiet then on the other side of the buildings was this who county fair thing.

Yea, it's going to be tight.
You remember the scene in Christmas Vacation where Ellen hit the light switch with all the outlets on it? Picture that while plugging in.

I could probably line up a honda as well, the nearest power will be at the shelter building. If they dont have the buckskins in the flat lands this year, there will be plenty of room, just a long way to run cords. Saturday night there is a street dance at the end of the midway, if you like country music.

I can probably get a Honda as well. Should have room for someone to hook up if I can get it.

Back