MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:57 PM   #1
PaulstheRibList
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : BishopofBBQ
Default Scale and Thermal Printer for Cutting Station

I'm getting closer with our new brick & mortar location. So many details to finish.

Question for those of you ahead of me: Did any of you choose to use a scale with a thermal printer to print individual meat weights and prices?

Why did you choose to include this or not to?

Right now, we weigh all the portions and round up for the customers benefit. So if they order 1/2 pound of brisket, I charge $11 and portion at least 1/2 a pound, giving the customer the small amounts above the weight they are paying for.

We went to the new Truth BBQ in Houston a couple weeks ago, and they weigh the portions and print a ticket for each protein ordered, charging you for the exact weight you got, even if it's a little more than you asked for.

Anyone do this second technique, where you charge the customer for the exact weight?

If any of you, do use the scale and thermal printer, what scale/printer do you like?
> Huge Insulated Cabinet #WhoDat1
> Pitmaker.com Grillmeister, 24"x48" Charcoal Grill
> Jambo Backyard Stickburner
> Pitmaker.com Vault Insulated Vertical Reverse Flow Smoker
@BishopofBBQ
PaulstheRibList is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2019, 02:58 PM   #2
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

We don't when operating our food truck however but that's just a few times a year. If I was running a 7 day operation I probably would. I know every deli I've ever purchased something from does it this way. If you ask for 1/2 lb of something they get it as close as possible but you pay for the actual weight of the product.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
Jousting Pigs
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Big John

I'm getting ready to open my brick and mortar and I will be using a scale and printer to charge for the exact weight and better control costs. The Clover POS system I'm looking at offers a scale that links directly to the POS. Not sure this would work well with the line flow so I'm also looking at scale and printer below.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/tor...iABEgJyL_D_BwE

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/tor...6DT2PCTRL.html
Jousting Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:46 PM   #4
InThePitBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

It's easy to ask the customer "it's a little over, that ok?"

You give away just 30 ounces of brisket a day on a serving line, 300 days a year at $24.00 a pound and you just lost $13,500.00
Old 03-08-2019, 06:03 AM   #5
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

I would do exact, just as pointed out by InthePitBBQ. In our business, every half once of meat counts, and a couple nickles for every customer will add up quickly. What do you buy that rounds the price down in your favor?
ynotfehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->