MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #7186
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

[QUOTE=jcinadr;1458139]I think there are two common methods for lighting. There is the chimney method - where you put a dozen or so fully lit coals on the basket of unlit - and there is the weed burner method.

Most of the Q'rs up here use the veg oil paper towel method. Quick easy and smells good.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2010, 08:18 PM   #7187
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfathomable Bastid View Post
Southern,

I have both a flat barrel lid and a weber kettle lid. I plan on drilling the hole for the thermometer in the flat lid (my weber kettle lid already has one). Unfortunately, my kettle lid doesn't fit the barrel tightly. It kinda balances on top of the rim, actually, even though the seal seems to be fairly good.

-Bastid
My lid, not a weber, balanced on the rim too. My fix was to put 4 nuts and bolts angled inward in the lid so it wouldn't slip off. I also added stove gasket to complete the seal. You can see the bolts here:

gasket was added later.

With gasket:

Just a thought.............

Paul B
SS UDS
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2010, 09:16 AM   #7188
Unfathomable Bastid
Full Fledged Farker

Default My version 1.0 UDS -- we'll see how she cooks

She held 225 degrees for four hours on a minimal amount of charcoal. Cooking a brisket this weekend. I'll keep you folks posted!!

As a sidenote -- I'm the first redneck jew in the history of UDS!! I loved this project and am truly thankful to BBQ Brethren for making all this knowledge available to a tool like me...

-Bastid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Smoker1.jpg (25.8 KB, 876 views)
File Type: jpg Smoker 2.jpg (33.8 KB, 877 views)
Unfathomable Bastid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #7189
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20loo View Post
Most of the Q'rs up here use the veg oil paper towel method. Quick easy and smells good.
Can you explain the details of the veg oil paper towel method - sounds a lot like the used peanut oil method that I never quite mastered.

I tried using the basket as a chimney and just stuffed crumbled up newspaper under it - and that did not work. I used veg oil soaked paper under an actual starter chimney a few times for my webber grill with good success.

Quite often, I open the lid and look in the drum and see there is still plenty of charcoal for one more burn. So just hitting the top with the weed burner w/o even touching the basket is the laziest thing to do. If I was actually pulling out the basket - I guess putting an oil soaked paper towel under it, and lighting it would be the next easiest. (currently don't have any nipples, so would need to light the paper towel before putting the basket back in...)
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2010, 01:32 PM   #7190
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinadr View Post
Can you explain the details of the veg oil paper towel method - sounds a lot like the used peanut oil method that I never quite mastered.

I tried using the basket as a chimney and just stuffed crumbled up newspaper under it - and that did not work. I used veg oil soaked paper under an actual starter chimney a few times for my webber grill with good success.

Quite often, I open the lid and look in the drum and see there is still plenty of charcoal for one more burn. So just hitting the top with the weed burner w/o even touching the basket is the laziest thing to do. If I was actually pulling out the basket - I guess putting an oil soaked paper towel under it, and lighting it would be the next easiest. (currently don't have any nipples, so would need to light the paper towel before putting the basket back in...)
I take a couple paper towels and wipe up the left over grease from pan fried bacon. I sandwich bag them and throw them in the freezer and that way I always have a supply of "charcoal starters".

You simply light each end of the paper towel and place it on top of the basket of charcoal in the drum. As simple as that! When your temps start coming up you adjust your intake to the sweet spot and you're ready for the groceries.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #7191
stglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
My lid, not a weber, balanced on the rim too. My fix was to put 4 nuts and bolts angled inward in the lid so it wouldn't slip off. I also added stove gasket to complete the seal. You can see the bolts here:

gasket was added later.

With gasket:

Just a thought.............

Paul B
SS UDS
Where did you get your stove gasket? I went to a local dent and repair shop and found an old stove door and got one, but would like to have a supplier for a backup on my next build...
Charbroil Quantum 5 burner
Brinkman SKD Offset w/ Mods
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
stglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #7192
stglide

Scratching my head still... Cooked a couple more times on my UDS. Did some wings and then some chicken quarters. For whatever reason, I can't get my temps to steady out. Mainly, they will hold for a little bit, then drop. The adjustable valve is wide open, and have to open up one pipe nipple to get the heat back up. Just can't seem to get it to a point of holding it's temp for any longer length of time...

Any ideas? Lid is sealed, plenty of charcoal / lump (use a combination), so I'm just scratching my head as to why...
Charbroil Quantum 5 burner
Brinkman SKD Offset w/ Mods
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
stglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #7193
BlueHowler
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinadr View Post

I have a large tin can that once held tomatoes and I drilled 4 1" holes in the sides. I take a couple of paper towels and drizzle veggi oil on them and crumple them up in the bottom of the can then I fill the can almost to the top with charcoal and light the paper towels through the 4 holes. After around 10 minutes all the charcoal is ready to place in the basket. I use long tongs to remove the hot coals and place them on top of the coals in the basket "minion style."

Last cook I did something I learned from one of the Brethren here and I took another large tomato can, cut the top and bottom out then placed in the middle of my fire basket, filled the basket with charcoal around the can. After the coals in my starter can were hot I dumped them into the can in my fire basket. I then removed the tin can (use tongs or an oven glove.)

The fire burns from the inside to the outside. It seemed to work very well but as it was the first time I need to do more research on which method works the best.
BlueHowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2010, 08:45 PM   #7194
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stglide View Post
Where did you get your stove gasket? I went to a local dent and repair shop and found an old stove door and got one, but would like to have a supplier for a backup on my next build...

Google Rutland gasket
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #7195
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Scratching my head still... Cooked a couple more times on my UDS. Did some wings and then some chicken quarters. For whatever reason, I can't get my temps to steady out. Mainly, they will hold for a little bit, then drop. The adjustable valve is wide open, and have to open up one pipe nipple to get the heat back up. Just can't seem to get it to a point of holding it's temp for any longer length of time...

Any ideas? Lid is sealed, plenty of charcoal / lump (use a combination), so I'm just scratching my head as to why...
What are you using for a charcoal basket, do you have it 3 inches from the bottom or ash pan?
22.5 OTG
22.5 OTS
UDS
Mini WSM
Super Fast [COLOR=red][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen :thumb:

[B]Got butt ? Smoke it !![/B]
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2010, 10:48 PM   #7196
michiana mark
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:

Mine runs along pretty well with one cap off (3/4in) and valve half way open. If you close it down too much it can't get enough air and will drop the temp. It may actually "backdraft" and fluctuate the temp when it exhales and then inhales a large amount of air. Drums take a while to settle in, set the valves and leave it, for 30 min, before adjusting. small adj should only be needed.

Weber Silver 22.5X2, UDSx2
KCBS-CBJ #16571, Member GLBBQA
Roadmaster BBQ comp team
Proud member of the Blue Thermapen Association
Certified MOINKballer Class of 2008
michiana mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2010, 04:41 AM   #7197
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Stop looking and let it cook, only adjust when needed and wait a good 15-20 minuets for it to settle in.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #7198
barkerw
Got rid of the matchlight.

Success on my first smoke with the new UDS. I did some pork spare ribs, temps were hard to keep down for some reason....i wanted it at 275 and my UDS was stubbornly holding at 300-350 for a large amount of the time. It all worked out in the end but i don't know how i'm going to get it to hold a temp as low as 225. I'm wondering if it has something to do with my charcoal basket being too large in diameter (i used the small rack from a weber and did the entire circumference and about 8" tall). Anyways, Thanks everyone for the great info on this thread, i absolutely love this thing.

On another note, Can anyone tell me how long and what temp i should do a pork butt at and possibly some wings as an snack? What should the internal temp of a butt read when its done?
barkerw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #7199
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfathomable Bastid View Post
As a sidenote -- I'm the first redneck jew in the history of UDS!!
I wonder if Gefilte Fish would make a good Fatty.... Sans bacon weave, of course.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2010, 01:13 PM   #7200
Louisiana Smoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Home Boy View Post
I wonder if Gefilte Fish would make a good Fatty.... Sans bacon weave, of course.
What is the deffination of a jewish dilema? Free ham

OK, to the penalty box I go
Louisiana Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker