MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
Pa_BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Default I am now Legit.

I have yet to do any catering or selling of Q, took peoples advice on here and when through the process.
Got my business license and food safety inspection completed this morning.
I have a mobile unit ready to go.
PK360
Fireboard, CyberQ
Pa_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Is there a demand for 'que where you're at?
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post

I bet he'll provide demand.

Good news Brother!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Oh, I don't doubt that. It just seems like a cumbersum and expensive venture if there isn't any signs of a demand. I'd just hate to see it not work out as no fault of his own!

I do wish you all the best of luck though!!!
Old 07-26-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
Pa_BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Quote:
Oh, I don't doubt that. It just seems like a cumbersum and expensive venture if there isn't any signs of a demand. I'd just hate to see it not work out as no fault of his own!

I do wish you all the best of luck though!!!
Well the only Pulled Pork sandwiches you can get around here are cooked in an oven, and even those are hard to find.
So I would say there is a demand for them.

BBQ is becoming more and more popular and the few people around here that can actually BBQ is rare.

I have been making a living doing photography for the last 8 years, and if you want a career that is becoming over saturated with photographers and a demand that is going away every month that is a great career.

It was not that expensive, I had the trailer & smokers, used craigslist, and amazon.com to get the sink built and a little elbow grease and paint.

Probably will never get rich doing this, but if it will supplement my income a little will be a fun venture.

One thing I always notice, even in a bad economy is that people will still eat, and pay for good food. Can not say that about pictures anymore.
PK360
Fireboard, CyberQ
Old 07-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I don't doubt what you're saying. But my question is, are people showing a desire for BBQ in general? You may have the best BBQ in the entire state, but if that's not what people in the area want to eat, you won't get any business, that's all.

Just because the only sandwhich around is cooked in oven doesn't mean that there is necessarily a demand for good BBQ, does it?

Just wondering if there was any marketing research done or analyzed before you took the plunge. In other words, how do you know there is a demand in the first place? Have you done catering gigs before to gauge a potential business market?

I'm glad you were able to do it relatively cheap to your cost.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa_BBQ View Post
Well the only Pulled Pork sandwiches you can get around here are cooked in an oven, and even those are hard to find.
So I would say there is a demand for them.

BBQ is becoming more and more popular and the few people around here that can actually BBQ is rare.

I have been making a living doing photography for the last 8 years, and if you want a career that is becoming over saturated with photographers and a demand that is going away every month that is a great career.

It was not that expensive, I had the trailer & smokers, used craigslist, and amazon.com to get the sink built and a little elbow grease and paint.

Probably will never get rich doing this, but if it will supplement my income a little will be a fun venture.

One thing I always notice, even in a bad economy is that people will still eat, and pay for good food. Can not say that about pictures anymore.
The wife and I were talking about this very thing coming home the other night. There is a main strip in Shreveport where there is literally miles of road with eateries on both sides of the road. We were driving down this strip the other day and noticed that every parking lot of the eateries were nearly all filled to capacity. And this was during the week. Not on a weekend, which we all know people tend to eat out more. Our society is obsessed with food and convenience. In a bad economy cutting out eating out will be far down on the list of things people decide to cut out in trying to safe money.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #8
J_Don
is One Chatty Farker

Good luck with your new venture.
Kenmore Elite Gasser w/ Rotisserie
Cajun Cooker (3)
UDS In Progress
[COLOR=#0000ff]BLUESMAN[/COLOR] Splashproof [COLOR=#0000ff]BLUE [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen :bow:[/COLOR]
H D FXSTD
J_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #9
Pa_BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I don't doubt what you're saying. But my question is, are people showing a desire for BBQ in general? You may have the best BBQ in the entire state, but if that's not what people in the area want to eat, you won't get any business, that's all.

Just because the only sandwhich around is cooked in oven doesn't mean that there is necessarily a demand for good BBQ, does it?

Just wondering if there was any marketing research done or analyzed before you took the plunge. In other words, how do you know there is a demand in the first place? Have you done catering gigs before to gauge a potential business market?

I'm glad you were able to do it relatively cheap to your cost.
The area recently put in an Applebees, Walmart, Lowes and Bob Evans. I am guessing they did some research before doing so.
Heck now days who knows what will work, but one think is for certain, if you don't try it the chance for success is 0%

Many drink or gamble more in a month than I have invested so not afraid to give it a try.
PK360
Fireboard, CyberQ
Old 07-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #10
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Well, that put's a diferent perspective on things then. So it seems to be a growing area and that's a good thing.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #11
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Very kewl. Congratulations and good luck getting the biz started!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
Kenny Rogers
Full Fledged Farker

Congrats, and best of luck to you in your new venture!
Kenny Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #13
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

I'm not sure how much reliable "research" you really could have done with regards to the demand for BBQ specifically. Personally, if you see other food joints coming in and setting up shop such as the ones you mentioned then odds are you're in a fertile market. Go for it and good luck!!!

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #14
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Best of luck!!!