Turkey Guidance

Broughts

Reaction score
Does anyone have guidance for a great Turkey cook on the BGE? I did a turkey once but it was just too smokey. Same goes for chicken.

Here is a huge turkey thread that folks use at the holidays. There is a ton of info in there...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120494

I keep mine fairly simple.

I take it our of the fridge at least an hour before cooking and put a bag of ice on the breasts. this keep the breast cooler than the leg/thigh so they are done at about the same time. Then I make a compound butter with a variety of fresh herbs and shove the under the skin and all over the outside and cavity. then I stuff the cavity with apples, oranges, carrots, onions and celery. I put it in a rack in a roasting pan and add some turkey stock into the pan. I set the Egg up for indirect cooking at 325 and cook until the breast is 155 and the thigh/leg are at least 165. Then I tent and rest for 30 minutes.

I use very little wood in my kamado. I find one fist sized chunk for a bird is plenty. For chicken parts I'll cut that down to a smaller chunk or two. You just don't need as much wood in that type of smoker IMO. I've never once thought my food was over smoked or under smoked. Always comes out just about right in that regard.

I light one spot in the large and when it's glowing pretty good jam a chunk in there. With the XL I would light two spots and jam two chunks in. Long meats like pork and brisket get bigger chunks than shorter cooks like chicken and ribs.

Try using just a couple chunks of pecan. Very mild and is great for poultry

As well as the Turkey Thread mentioned above, many people I know find that when the converted to the Komando or BGE their food had a stronger smoke flavor. Some say an "over-powering" smoke flavor. Simply reduce the amount of wood chunks to get your level you prefer.

I spatchcock in two and arrange one grate above the other with a pan below for catching drippings and making gravy. Cook at 375. Never had an issue over smoking on a Kamado - especially using applewood.

The naked whiz has a great turkey tutorial PattioDadddio has a really good brine and google turkey 101 A member here did it and it is really good- It is prob in Ron_L link

Back