Free wood is good wood

motley que

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So through a chamber of commerce that I am a member of, i met someone who works at a furnature maker. They specialize in Cherry. He hooked me up with the owner, who gave me a box today of Cherry and White Oak scraps from their products. He said they also have a ton of maple when I want it.

They should never run out of scraps for me as long as the company is around, and the owner was a nice guy. In addition I found out that their home building company is building a house for my cousin, plus revavating a house for another cousin. So for the cash he is making off of them, he should be happy to give me scraps.

I will bring him leftovers from Sat. On the menu: Brisket, 2 Chuck roasts, 2 BCC, 2 Fatties, and ABT's

The wood is in plank form so I will cut it with what limited tools I have, and get it in planks about 6 inches long by 2 inches.

motley que said: "I will bring him leftovers from Sat. On the menu: Brisket, 2 Chuck roasts, 2 BCC, 2 Fatties, and ABT's

The wood is in plank form so I will cut it with what limited tools I have, and get it in planks about 6 inches long by 2 inches."

Sounds like the beginning of a strong alliance. All you should need is a good circular saw and a axe.

Next time, bring him some poultry. It's cheap, and you can provide him enough to feed his crew or family a meal.

Mark said:
motley que said: "I will bring him leftovers from Sat. On the menu: Brisket, 2 Chuck roasts, 2 BCC, 2 Fatties, and ABT's

The wood is in plank form so I will cut it with what limited tools I have, and get it in planks about 6 inches long by 2 inches."

Sounds like the beginning of a strong alliance. All you should need is a good circular saw and a axe.

Next time, bring him some poultry. It's cheap, and you can provide him enough to feed his crew or family a meal.

Do you not have to worry about the wood being pre-treated or anything like that?

Short of checking wax on the end pieces there wont' be any undesireable "stuff" on that type of wood.

The problem with it is, the kiln drying process removes a substantial part of the desireable compounds in the wood that provide flavor for cooking. It will still smell good when you burn it, and will impart some flavor to the meat, but no where near the flavor of proprely seasoned wood that hasn't been kiln dried.

Back