Cast Iron egg grate

deez20

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Steve
I just picked up the CI grate for my large egg saturday and did 1 cook on it. I was cleaning out the egg and noticed the grate already has two cracks in it. Is this common for the CI? Could it be from temps being up around 700? I guess it's possible it was there when I bought it and didn't notice.

Sounds like a serious problem with the egg itself, just send it to me cast iron and all, I will run some serious tests on it and umm... send it back...

Sounds defective to me. I don't have specific experience with this grate but cast iron heated and cooled fairly slowly shouldn't crack.

cracks in the bge CI grids do occur. It took me three attempts to get one from the dealer that was not already cracked and there has been talk on the bge forum about CI's cracking. Looking back, probably should have just used the first one, not sure it makes that much of a difference. Can't really see the grid falling apart from cracks.....after typing this, may have jinxed my CI.....dooh! t

I read on a few occasions that these are prone to crack and that some pre-cut a crack in the CI grate to create less stress during the expansion/retraction during heating/cooling phases.

I've only used my CI grate two-three times near 500 deg. and luckly no cracks yet.

Got cracks on mine pretty fast, sounds like it's pretty normal.

Back