Cleaning the cast iron grate?

F

Fiddy/Fiddy

I tried scraping off and lightly re-seasoning the Craycort Cast iron grates. Te scraping still removed some of the seasoning. Is there another approach to cleaning the grease and sauce off the grates without wrecking the seasoning

If your seasoning is coming off it is not seasoned properly. You may need to start over. You should use flax seed oil and do at least three coats. I did a thread back some time ago.

I have been using peanut oil and safflower oil and it just does not seem to be holding up.

Oil it... heat it up... brush the crud off... let it cool... lightly oil it again..

This is the very best way to do it. I have repeated this process many times and it works. Take the time to do it right and you will see what I mean. If you aren't into the work then just settle for what you got. BTW Flaxseed oil is refrigerated.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98158

Thanks to the advice. Doing some research online flaxseed is recommended by many of the experts. I tried the approach from the Balistic BBQ Video by using peanut oil with little success. It worked for him in the video. He also live in the south US. I am in a much higher elevation and a lot further north. I will stick with the flaxseed oil since it proven.

Back