Biscuits and fatty gravy

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been asked to make biscuits and fatty gravy for Christmas Breakfast at my sister's place. Her kitchen will be busy that day so I want to do as much as I can ahead of time.

So... what do you think i can get done at home. I know that I can cook the fatties and make the biscuits. How about making the roux? Can i do that at home and add the sausage to it so all I have to do at her house is heat up the roux/sausage mix and add milk.

Do you guys think that will work?

I would make the gravy a little extra thick and with less than normal salt. Add milk to lighten as you mentioned, then season.

The Roux might dry out before you are able to use it. What about making a
concentrate?

Maybe add 1 fourth of the milk with the Roux...so it's kind of a slurry...then heat it up
at your sisters house then add the rest of the milk and finish it off.

If you're not familiar with making biscuits...I found it works best to mix the ingredients
until the dough just BARELY comes together....then gently roll it out and they should
rise up real nice. The more you mix (or work) the dough, the tougher they tend to
come out.

Yes, you can make roux ahead of time, put it in a sealed container and keep in the fridge. I've done it before when I am in bulk soup making mode. I would keep the meat separate from the roux to allow it to heat up easier. Slowly warm up the roux at the lowest heat setting, then you are good to go.

Many, many times I've completely made the sausage gravy the night before, refridgerated, and reheated the next day in a crockpot for work/office feedings the following day. I'd recommend making it a day ahead of time and reheating when you get to your sister's. Make the biscuits fresh that morning.

I'm in the making it all ahead and then reheating it group as well. Has always worked for me, although, I might suggest going light on seasonings when making it and then adding to taste when warming it up.

Thanks, guys. I guess I'll make it ahead of time and reheat.

Now, anyone have a good biscuit recipe for a biscuit rookie?

Hi RonL-

My wife's recipe, it's pretty good and very easy.

Dry:
2c all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 Tbs baking powder
1 tsp salt

Wet:
6 Tbs butter, sliced (keep it super cold, don't handle it)
3/4 c buttermilk (keep it in the fridge until ready to use)

Put all dry ingredients into food processor and combine. Add the butter slices and pulse until just cut in (coarse meal texture). Add buttermilk and pulse just until blended (just barely).

Pat it out with your hands until about 1/2" thick or so, then cut with a round cutter or thin lipped drinking glass.

Bake 10 or 12 minutes at 450 F until they are golden on top. If the dough rounds are touching each other, you'll get soft sided biscuits, if not touching, they will be crispier on the sides. I like them nice and soft.... :thumb:

Ingredients

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3 teaspoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 egg
  • 2/3 cup milk

Directions

1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat egg with milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
  2. Turn onto a well-floured surface; knead 20 times. Roll to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.

I just make them off the side of the Bisquick box. I like them and the kids like them too. Bisquick and milk. It's easy.

One more vote for the re-heat approach. I've done this many times and re-heat slowly, sometimes adding just a dab of water or milk as necessary to get the consistency you want. As somebody mentioned above, a crockpot works well.

I'll be sending you Mrs. Dog's recipe this weekend. Sorry I hadn't replied yet. :redface:

I'll be sending you Mrs. Dog's recipe this weekend. Sorry I hadn't replied yet. :redface:

puppy_wagging_tail-111.gif

This is my go to for biscuits, easier than cutting in lard or butter...mmmm, lard biscuits...

This reminds me, I need new baking powder.

Cream Biscuits

Ingredients
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon double acting baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar, if desired
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
Milk for brushing tops of biscuits
Instructions
Into a bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt, add the cream, and stir the mixture until it just forms a dough. Gather the dough into a ball, knead it gently 6 times on a lightly floured surface, and roll or pat it out 1/2-inch thick. Cut out as many rounds as possible with a 2 1/2-inch round cutter dipped in flour and transfer them to an ungreased baking sheet. Gather the scraps, reroll the dough, and cut out more rounds in the same manner until they are 10 in all. Brush the tops of the rounds with the milk and bake the biscuits in a preheated 425 preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until they are pale golden. Transfer the biscuits to a rack and let them cool for 5 minutes.

I've had good results from this recipe from Alton Brown.

Ingredients

• 2 cups flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons shortening
  • 1 cup buttermilk, chilled
Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using your fingertips, rub butter and shortening into dry ingredients until mixture looks like crumbs. (The faster the better, you don't want the fats to melt.) Make a well in the center and pour in the chilled buttermilk. Stir just until the dough comes together. The dough will be very sticky.

Turn dough onto floured surface, dust top with flour and gently fold dough over on itself 5 or 6 times. Press into a 1-inch thick round. Cut out biscuits with a 2-inch cutter, being sure to push straight down through the dough. Place biscuits on baking sheet so that they just touch. Reform scrap dough, working it as little as possible and continue cutting. (Biscuits from the second pass will not be quite as light as those from the first, but hey, that's life.)

Bake until biscuits are tall and light gold on top, 15 to 20 minutes.

Notes

MA MAE'S BISCUITS
Advice courtesy Mae Skelton
I don't have much use for recipes but the one you get on a bag of White Lily(r) self-rising flour is hard to beat. And it's a lot easier than the one my crazy grandson dreamed up.

Count me as a fan of Alton Brown's biscuit recipe as well. Since biscuits and gravy are usually a breakfast that is made kind of on impulse around here, I never have buttermilk on hand. I use the "couple of tablespoons of vinegar" method to sour a cup of whole milk. Works fine...

If your baking powder and baking soda haven't been out of your cupboard in over 6 months, throw them out and buy fresh, regardless of the listed expiration date. They're both cheap and makes a world of difference in the finished biscuits.

Chris

Back