• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Trailer Mod Idea

Greendriver

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
This is not a crazy idea so don’t anybody make such a claim – I just wanted to make that clear right up front. Kidding aside, I want to share a vision of a possible trailer mod. My trailer is 34 ft with 18 ft as the living qtrs up front and over the gooseneck and a 15 ft garage in the rear separated by a wall with no pass through. My goal is to cook inside in all weather and the garage area be totally self-sustained and not have to rely on anything from the living qtrs to cook. What my idea is now and I’ve had many but still waiting for just the right one – is to have a boxed in section extending from bottom of outside of trailer to the roof made out of the same aluminum material as the trailer is made of that is hollow and big enough inside to accommodate a flex exhaust pipe. On the inside would be a hole cut to insert flex exhaust piping out and up that hollow section built on the outside and finally on top there would be some kind of rain guard like a big 18-wheeler chrome stack. Of course you may want to do this on both sides for two cookers or just to aid in appearance. It would either look like a diesel-powered fifth wheel or with some bbq logos on it, maybe a bbq trailer. All carbon monoxide or whatever poisoning comments are welcome, but will be ignored. I have two 3-spd fans in that end of the trailer to take any residual smoke out as well and a detector.

I understand not wanting to depend on needing anything in the living quarters. I don't like having to go outside to get to the business end though, especially not in bad weather.

This thread would make a lot more sense with paragraphs and maybe an illustration or two.

Why would you intentiallly NOT put a door between the inside and back?
Why would you cook Inside? I don't care if you've got externally vented stacks and 39 fans blowing out residual smoke, I'd be concerned about carbon monoxide.

Instead of the side of the trailer, why not straight up through the roof and then you dont have to do all those outside miss?

yes Candy we thought about a complete mod that would include a pass through door but that would require moving cabinets on both sides and some plumbing. In fact I was all set to go on that and had a guy going to do it just for the cost of materials but decided I didn't want to change the basic trailer design in case I sold it. It's not too bad the way it is though since the awning runs from front to back doors and if I get it completely self contained in rear I won't have to make any trips unless it is to snooze. I cooked a few last year inside by just running an exhaust up to within a foot of the roof power vent and it sure was nice to be inside and close to our work table and all, not to mention saving all those steps up and down into and out of the trailer.

I think it would look better and be less to worry about on the roof up keep than going trough roof Scottie. First thought about just going through wall and have sliding doors big enough for vent pipe that could be closed when not in use and just place an eye bolt on roof to hang that flex pipe on, that way if you wanted to put it back original later you could just replace the holes in the wall with trailer windows there.

I've seen guys vent through a window as well if you don't want anything permanent.

Why would you cook Inside? I don't care if you've got externally vented stacks and 39 fans blowing out residual smoke, I'd be concerned about carbon monoxide.

Instead of the side of the trailer, why not straight up through the roof and then you dont have to do all those outside miss?

Sounds like my trailer. I had an hvac company install the stacks. Perfectly safe. I almost always cook with the ramp door open but have cooked with it closed. Need a roof vent. Multiple fire inspectors have said its good and safe.

Back