MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #226
Visioneer
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS2SB View Post
Cherry goes great with turkey and also provides a really nice color to the bird.
+1 on the cherry wood! That's all I use anymore. Awesome coloring and flavor. Used too much hickory one year and it tasted more like ham than turkey.
I did 10 eighteen pound birds last year on my Lang 84 for 12 hours @225/250 with nothing but cherry wood and they came out awesome. That was for a senior dinner the day after Thanksgiving. Gearing up to do it again this year.
Visioneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 11-12-2013, 01:16 AM   #227
Humble Soul
Full Fledged Farker

Would using lump instead of charcoal on my kettle be a total headache? I have a bunch of royal oak laying around am wondering if that would work with the bird..

Old 11-12-2013, 04:47 AM   #228
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker

I have used it using the indirect heat method
Crotonmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #229
bigjake690
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visioneer View Post
+1 on the cherry wood! That's all I use anymore. Awesome coloring and flavor. Used too much hickory one year and it tasted more like ham than turkey.
I did 10 eighteen pound birds last year on my Lang 84 for 12 hours @225/250 with nothing but cherry wood and they came out awesome. That was for a senior dinner the day after Thanksgiving. Gearing up to do it again this year.
I am part way through building my UDS, so I can use it for Turkey Day and it looks like I will be getting some cherry wood....thanks for the tip guys!

Old 11-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #230
CErnst
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Corey

I have a cut up frozen turkey from after 2012 t-day sales. After reading this thread...I think I know what I'm doing this upcoming weekend.

Last edited by CErnst; 11-12-2013 at 11:41 AM..
CErnst is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #231
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

What is a "frozen turkey"?
I thought this was interesting. Its from http://bbq.about.com/od/turkey/a/aa110709a.htm

"Fresh vs Frozen: Thanks for heavy lobbying by the Tyson Corporation the definition of "fresh" when it applies to poultry means it has never been cooled to lower than 26 degree F. Now I promise you, if you pick up a turkey at 26 degrees F it is hard as a rock so the term "fresh" doesn't really mean anything when buying a turkey at your local store. It just means that it hasn't been hard frozen. Truth is, flash frozen turkeys (frozen fast to below 0 degrees F) can be fresher tasting that many "fresh" turkeys that have been sitting around for a few months.

To further complicate matters the USDA definition of frozen means that the turkey has been brought to a temperature no lower than 0 degrees F. Turkeys stored at a temperature of 5 degrees F can actually be labeled "not previously frozen", though they can not be labeled as fresh. These turkeys are considered "hard-chilled" or "deep-chilled". Personally I call temperatures between 0 and 26 degrees F something other than chilly."

"One quick note about hormones and antibiotics. The rule with poultry is that it can not be given hormones of any type. As for antibiotics, they can only be used for the health of the turkey if a withdrawal period is given to allow the antibiotics to leave the birds system. So if you find someone marketing hormone free turkeys point and laugh at them, then walk away."

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #232
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble Soul View Post
Would using lump instead of charcoal on my kettle be a total headache? I have a bunch of royal oak laying around am wondering if that would work with the bird..
Cook with what you got!
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #233
dadsr4

My wife came home with a 20 lb turkey, for over a decade I've always bought 12 lb max for the grill. Anyone ever cook such a large turkey on a kettle?

Old 11-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #234
Wampus

I think I've done a couple of 16 lb'ers on the kettle, but not quite that big.
You just have to worry a little bit more about diffusing the direct heat from scorching the thighs and legs. If you don't already, use some bricks to hold the coals closer to the outside of the kettle The bricks will not only keep the coals from moving in on you, they'll shield that big turkey.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #235
BecknCO

I'm going with injecting versus brining as this will be my first smoked turkey. We only like a spicy flavor profile and I can't get the chica to like anything other than hickory for smoke wood. I think we're going to use her spicy rub that she always makes when she does it in the oven, and it's awesome.

The question is whether or not to inject using just butter (and maybe some other things you guys recommend), or try out the cajun butter that we find easily in the grocery stores - thoughts?

Old 11-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #236
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
My wife came home with a 20 lb turkey, for over a decade I've always bought 12 lb max for the grill. Anyone ever cook such a large turkey on a kettle?
I did a 28 lb bird on my 18.5 WSM. I stood it on it's head and used butcher's twine to guy it in place.

I think your biggest concern is fitting it under the lid. I suggest putting the lid on and measuring to the grate from the lid vent and checking that against the size of the turkey. If it doesn't fit, you can always spatchcock the bird but then you may be constrained by grate space. If you have (or can borrow) a second kettle you should be good to go. This is also one of those places where the 26" Kettle really shines!

I plan to use my rotisserie this year. I did a trial run with a 12 pounder yesterday and it worked well.

Done in 2:10 at a lid temp of 300°F! I used apple and cherry for smoke wood and that gave it the mahogany color without an oversmoked flavor.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #237
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecknCO View Post
I'm going with injecting versus brining as this will be my first smoked turkey. We only like a spicy flavor profile and I can't get the chica to like anything other than hickory for smoke wood. I think we're going to use her spicy rub that she always makes when she does it in the oven, and it's awesome.

The question is whether or not to inject using just butter (and maybe some other things you guys recommend), or try out the cajun butter that we find easily in the grocery stores - thoughts?
I've injected a doctor'd up butter and also with plain butter. Just depends on what you're going for really. I injected one year with an herb butter. Beware of glogged injectors!

I'd guess the other way to get the "spicy" is just in the rub used as it will cook into the skin as well.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #238
Riz58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecknCO View Post

I use a Creole Butter injection, and put Tony's Creole seasoning on the outside. Man, I love that flavoring along with the smoke.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #239
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

I read thru most of this a few days ago and sorta caught up the last few days tonight. If I missed anyone posting about how to carve the bird I apologize. Here's one of the best tutorials I've seen about carving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDaPbpokDHk

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #240
k9paws
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Talkin Turkey

Wampus, what is the largest turkey you have smoked on the Turkey Cannon?

Thanks
Gary
k9paws is offline   Reply With Quote