• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Weber Mod questions?

D

Derek

Hi gang.

I'm sorry for asking this question.

How hard will it be for me to build a char coal pasket for the weber 22.5 kettle?

Also how do you determine the size?

And can I use metal fasteners to make the basket if I can't weld?

By the way ( I'm not building a uds, Just an fyi )

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on your metal working skill level.

Tape Measure.

Trial and Error.

Like nuts and bolts they should hold up.

In the end it may be just as easy to buy from Weber. Not sure what item they are but they come standard with Performer and I think you can get from Weber. They may not show up on Weber's website but if you call they'll be able to figure out what you're talking about.

I think in the end you'll spend as much in money, time and frustration to certainly justify the cost. I use mine a lot and would just replace when needed.

Depends on your metal working skill level.

Tape Measure.

Trial and Error.

Like nuts and bolts they should hold up.
Thanks Scot.

What do I need, I mean what's the stuff is called I can get at Home Depot?

I know it's a metal lattace, metal fastiners, and a metal bottom pan that can withstand heat.

And what will this do for my weber kettle? ( will it create stable temps and longer burns? )

In the end it may be just as easy to buy from Weber. Not sure what item they are but they come standard with Performer and I think you can get from Weber. They may not show up on Weber's website but if you call they'll be able to figure out what you're talking about.

I think in the end you'll spend as much in money, time and frustration to certainly justify the cost. I use mine a lot and would just replace when needed.
I think it's called a smoke ring though, I'm not quite sure, let me fetch a picture of it.

Derek - are you looking to make a basket that will sit directly in the center ? This will not help you smoke indirectly...

The lattice type metal is called "Expanded Steel"

I have no Idea what it will do for your kettle. I would be curious to see though.

Derek - are you looking to make a basket that will sit directly in the center ? This will not help you smoke indirectly...
I will keep doing what I was then, have the char coal on one side and a water pan on the other side...

I guess I will still get the smokeinator, thought it would be cool to have a smoke ring / char coal basket, lol!

Sorry for the stupid questions guys.

Thank you much MS and everyone.

Hey guys, What about a thermo meter mod?

How easy it to drill a single hole in the lid? ( not where the flu is? ) and then use locking screws to keep the thermo meter from falling out?

I think I know what you are shooting for with the basket as far as 'smokering' goes.

Are you wanting to place it in the grill and havea ring of charcoal around the outside?
I read something about that on these very boards. Leaving a gap of 3-4 inches you start a Minion on one end and it will burn around to the other end over a course of several hours.

Also I think your are sliding down the same dangerous slippery slope I was on with kettle mods. Save your money and watch craigslist for a good used Performer.

I think I know what you are shooting for with the basket as far as 'smokering' goes.

Are you wanting to place it in the grill and havea ring of charcoal around the outside?
I read something about that on these very boards. Leaving a gap of 3-4 inches you start a Minion on one end and it will burn around to the other end over a course of several hours.
Something like that, but I think I will stick with the smokeinator.

Back