MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #7981
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaco View Post
Will-do...
Any way I can use the 1" bung to place a thermometer or are they better placed at rack level?

Rack level if you want accurate reading.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #7982
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Saw a cast iron wood chip box the other day at Wally-world. Was wondering if that thing was loaded up with chips and then placed on top of the UDS fire basket if it would offer enough smoke to do the job. I had planned on placing small chunks of wood in the basket, but if this would work with wood chips, then all the better... right?

Put wood chunks in fire basket and don't worry about wood chip box.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #7983
Rick T
Full Fledged Farker

"For those who did grind their way through, about how long did it take?"
Burn the barrel, 2 hours a rack of beer, and a ball game on the radio. Then pressure wash with a 4000psi,1/2 hour takes most off then light grinding if needed. Can't find my pics of the Pressure washed barrel interior. 1/2 hour.
Rick T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2011, 03:18 PM   #7984
Rick T
Full Fledged Farker

Regarding the fire basket, Is it best to have smaller diameter basket and 12" high. or 18"X12" high? Does the smaller basket with the same number of charcoal last longer?
Thanks,
Rick

Old 05-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #7985
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

My first one is 16" in diameter, and 6" high above the bottom. Subsequent ones I've made using a Weber charcoal grate, which is 13-1/2" in diameter. I make the sides of those about 8" above the bottom. I use a piece of expanded plate that is 3" taller than that to keep the bottom up out of the ashes instead of using feet. I haven't noticed any difference in cooking time or conditions with either size basket. I've never filled one all the way, either. Usually about half full. The longest smoke I've done was about 20 hours, and there was still fuel left.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #7986
brickie
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Ummm... fire sterilizes...right???? All the mouse turds would burn up before you put meat on the grates anyway.

Do you still soak the chips in water before putting them in the box?
Yeah fire probably would, but without some easy-off and pressure washing ol lady would never eat anything where I used it and wouldn't let the kids either.

Sort of like when she came home and I was cooking pidgeons on grill. She politely took everybody out to dinner.

And yeah I would agree, if you have chunks use them....I just had all these bags of different chips and want to make use of them.

brickie
brickie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2011, 09:12 PM   #7987
huaco
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie View Post
Yeah fire probably would, but without some easy-off and pressure washing ol lady would never eat anything where I used it and wouldn't let the kids either.

Sort of like when she came home and I was cooking pidgeons on grill. She politely took everybody out to dinner.

And yeah I would agree, if you have chunks use them....I just had all these bags of different chips and want to make use of them.

brickie
I have always wanted to try pigeon... any good???
huaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #7988
Rick T
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Mush Creek:
Rick

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #7989
brickie
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I have always wanted to try pigeon... any good???

Actually for the cost of what they sell them for, not worth it to me. If I remember a little bit more than cornish hens, and nowhere near as much meat.Taste itself was okay,nothing special. Should have followed wife honestly out to dinner.

One meat that is great that you should try if you can is bear, love it!!

brickie
brickie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #7990
huaco
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie View Post
Actually for the cost of what they sell them for, not worth it to me. If I remember a little bit more than cornish hens, and nowhere near as much meat.Taste itself was okay,nothing special. Should have followed wife honestly out to dinner.

One meat that is great that you should try if you can is bear, love it!!

brickie
Oh... I would never BUY pigeon... A pellet gun would get you a whole bunch real quick.
I have been wanting to try bear meat for quite some time. Kindof like eating a dog i guess. They will eat pretty much anything. I have no qualms about eating dogs... (if times were tough enough...) Wonder what kind of smoke ring you can get on a hunk of bear meat??? hmmm....

Old 05-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #7991
huaco
Got Wood.

To get things back on track of UDS. I have ALL my material and will be fabricating on friday! WOOHOO!!!

Old 05-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #7992
huaco
Got Wood.

Ok... so one of the two UDS i will be making this week is going to my dad as a surprise. I have been using Lump lately and will be trying my first bag of Royal Oak soon.

Dad, on the other hand, is a Big K fan. I am building the coal basket 9.5" high with expanded metal and wrapping it around a 13" or 14" salvaged Webber charcoal grate.

Using that coal basket, how do I instruct Dad in the proper Minion Method to cook with his Big K?

He has also been a big fan of starter fluid, so I am thinking about buying him a chimney when I give him the UDS.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #7993
PhilipW
Knows what a fatty is.

That's just like my setup. Depending on how long I plan to cook, for example under 8 hours, I'll put just over a half basket in, and 3/4 of a chimney. I let that chimney get going really good, flames coming through to the top and pour that on top of the basket and set the whole thing in the barrel. If I'm cooking more than 8 hours, I'll go 3/4 on the basket and full up on the chimney. I'm using lump all the time.

I always start the chimney with two pieces of crumpled paper, and the last couple times have made a snake out of it and left the center open. In all my starts in the last couple months, I had a couple that didn't fire up, which is why I'm trying the snake method now.
PhilipW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2011, 05:32 PM   #7994
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

Buy Dad the chimney and show him how to start the coal without the use of starter fluid.

55 Gal. UDS
30 Gal. UDS
16 Gal. Mini. UDS
[COLOR=Blue]Maverick ET-732 & iQue - 110
[/COLOR]
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #7995
huaco
Got Wood.

Try drizzling some veg. oil on the newspaper before you crumple it up... It will last a LOT longer and you will have more consistent starts on your chimney. Learned that trick from Alton Brown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipW View Post
That's just like my setup. Depending on how long I plan to cook, for example under 8 hours, I'll put just over a half basket in, and 3/4 of a chimney. I let that chimney get going really good, flames coming through to the top and pour that on top of the basket and set the whole thing in the barrel. If I'm cooking more than 8 hours, I'll go 3/4 on the basket and full up on the chimney. I'm using lump all the time.

I always start the chimney with two pieces of crumpled paper, and the last couple times have made a snake out of it and left the center open. In all my starts in the last couple months, I had a couple that didn't fire up, which is why I'm trying the snake method now.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker