MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

Default Local meat prices 11/10/11

I have to do some cooking this weekend and was trying to find a supply for some BB that wasn't 2.38/lb and managed to snag some at a meat market for 1.45/lb. I was happy and decided that since I was there I would ask him what he would have to get per pound on briskets... I almost fell out when he told me between 1.45 - 2.00 per pound. It has been anywhere from 2.99 to 5.99/lb at the local grocery stores. Chicken is another thing that has just gotten wierd in the way it is priced. I went to the grocery store and they had whole birds for 1.69/lb!!! Which I believe is OUTRAGEOUS... I did find some whole birds at the local wally world for .88/pound which is more my speed.

I'm only assuming that the elevated corn and other grain prices are driving the cost of otherwise affordable meat up. I mean, 5.99/pound for brisket??? I can get Ribeyes custom cut for 6.99/pound and sometimes on sale for 4.99 so why in the world would they think I would be willing to pay that high price for a tough piece of meat???

Anyway, was just wandering if the wide gap in prices at different venues was being experienced everywhere or just down here. I mean, I don't expect everyone's price to be EXACTLY the same but come on, there is a lot of difference in 1.49 versus 5.99 for the same piece of meat.

Have been looking at this spatchcock thing ya'll been talking about and had never heard of it. That's what I was pricing birds for. Want to give that a try. Gotta admit though, when I first read that term I wasn't real sure what ya'll were doing to your chickens Was too embarassed to ask so I just started googling that and was relieved to find out that it was just splaying that sucker out to cook... LOL
Bluehawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehawg View Post
there is a lot of difference in 1.49 versus 5.99 for the same piece of meat.
They are not always the same piece of meat.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

Like anything else, when comparing prices on cuts of meat you must consider the quality of the meat.
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

My local butcher sells prime brisket for $4.99lb. My local Restaurant Depot sells Choice Angus brisket for $1.49lb or $1.99lb

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
They are not always the same piece of meat.
True enough, but I do know that the 5.99/lb brisket was stiff as a board and didn't look nearly as good as the ones that were at the meat market. I could see the difference if the grocery store had a higher quality but it actually appeared to be of lesser quality for nearly 3 times the price.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskew82 View Post
My local butcher sells prime brisket for $4.99lb. My local Restaurant Depot sells Choice Angus brisket for $1.49lb or $1.99lb
So, which one do you usually go for? The prime brisket or the Choice Angus?

Just out of curiousity.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quality may or may not be the issue. Most of the traditional retailers jack their prices up so high they have to run some items in hot specials or nobody would ever shop there (everyone would be in walmart. Costco. Target. And sams).

If you buy the specials. You get good deals. If you have a hankering for chicken on a week that turkeys or roast are on deal. You are gonna pay through the nose.

Overall. Corn has substantially caused prices to skyrocket...but you can definitely get decent meat if you are a little flexible (or have a big freezer).

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk
tortaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Not just corn, fuel costs are killing truckers, they need to pass on the cost as well. In fact, fuel costs are impacting costs at all levels of meat production.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

Yep, and that is why I have a homegrown, grassfed steer in the freezer.

My youngins show pigs in FFA and can only sell two in the county sale. We let them do that and put it in their savings accounts for college :)... HOWEVER, they have an extra "show pig" this year... Bet you can guess where it is going? :P

Old 11-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #10
likeadeere
is one Smokin' Farker

I blame the terrorists....

Old 11-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #11
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Occupy Wall Street!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...962856108.html
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #12
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

Occupy Pastures!

Be out standing in your field!
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #13
snyper77
Full Fledged Farker

I recently moved from MS to AL. I also just bought be a Lang 100 (60" smoker + 40" chargrill trailer rig).
Meats here are much more expensive. In MS, I could buy butts on sale for .99 cents, but here, they are 1.79 on sale. That's an 80% increase.
I called a wholesale meat supplier in Birmingham and they have a 150lbs. min. purchase and prices are as follows:
Ribs 1.81
Butts 1.34
Chicken .87
Brisket 2.24
Those prices are the best I've found, but again, there's a 150lbs. min. purchase (and I don't own a deep freeze). Will the average deep freeze hold 150lbs worth?

Old 11-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #14
swallytrip
Knows what a fatty is.

I am in michigan and a butcher at sam's club this week we have briskit for 3.96 a pound none are under 10 pounds so ive been putting off smoking one of those for me and the wife. Butts are 1.38 a pound,ribeye is 6.99 pound tenderloin is 10.38 pound dont really remember any of our chicken prices but for comparison the 2 local stores in our area for price comp comparison goes like this. Brisket is 5.00 pound and cut into halfs, tenderloin is 19.88 pound,ribeye is 13.48 pound,butts are around 1.80 pound and sam's is all certified angus usda choice or higher the other store is usda choice or higher and the hometown grocery store is usda select (1 grade lower) and they both are still almost double on beef prices across the board. Oh yeah i dont remember the other stores but sams are 3.48 on BB's and 2.29 on spares which i think is way high compared to what some others are saying.
swallytrip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #15
Durzil
Full Fledged Farker

I think meat prices here in Oregon are higher on avg than in The midwest. I buy my meat at Costco usually because they have consistent prices and quality but you can get stuff slightly less when someone is having a really good sale. I purchased a part of a local beef that was yummy and has supplied use with all the ground beef we need for a year and close to a years worth of steaks. I get BB Ribs and Tri-Tip at Costco mainly with some chicken and Boston Butt on occasion.