MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:09 AM   #1
Chappy
Got Wood.

Default Anyone cook on Pitmaker's Vault?

I'm looking into getting a bigger smoker but don't want a true stick burner. I came across Pitmaker.com and like the Vault. Anyone have experience with it? Tell me what you think. How often do you need to add lump? On their video, they say about six hours, which is pretty good sleepwise for a little shut eye at competitions.

Their offset smoker looks pretty nice also but I don't really want to have to add wood all night.

Thanks.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
Dirt Daddy
Knows what a fatty is.

Not yet...just ordered one a buddy of mine has one and they cook awesome..
Dirt Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
SHERIFF
Got Wood.

I've had Vault for a little while. They're great smokers!

As for adding fuel (charcoal, wood, etc.), I haven't had to add anything during a normal smoke. Please keep in mind that I cook "dry", meaning I don't use the built-in water pan. I have no problem getting 14+ hours out of a single loading of fuel. If you use a weed burner to pre-heat the Vault/Safe, it will increase your cooking time(s) greatly.

I hope this helps......
SHERIFF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
Chappy
Got Wood.

Thanks for the input. Here's another question for you. Is yours on a trailer? I don't have a trailer and am wondering if it feasible to get it on the back of my truck to transport with a ramp and winch.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
SHERIFF
Got Wood.

No sir, mine is not on a trailer. As you may already know, Vault's are pushing a 1000 pounds. I can see getting one on/off of a utility trailer, but a pick-up truck, that might be a tall order.
SHERIFF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERIFF View Post
I've had Vault for a little while. They're great smokers!

As for adding fuel (charcoal, wood, etc.), I haven't had to add anything during a normal smoke. Please keep in mind that I cook "dry", meaning I don't use the built-in water pan. I have no problem getting 14+ hours out of a single loading of fuel. If you use a weed burner to pre-heat the Vault/Safe, it will increase your cooking time(s) greatly.

I hope this helps......
+1! I will also add,
Make sure if you get one, get the ball valve design and not the slide dampers. Once heated and running dry they are super efficient and you gotta have good draft control. If cooking dry and manual slides, the air leaks will make your pit run away on temps. Once it gets up there, it's really difficult to get back down in temp. I cooked 75 chicken halves + 20 sausage links the other day on 10 lbs of lump in 4 hrs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERIFF View Post
No sir, mine is not on a trailer. As you may already know, Vault's are pushing a 1000 pounds. I can see getting one on/off of a utility trailer, but a pick-up truck, that might be a tall order.
The only way you will get a vault off the back of a truck is with a forklift or tractor and that's it. Any other way is gonna be too dangerous. Pitmaker has had some people drop them off the back trying to unload them and advises against truck loading. It's funny Becaise George was all careful tryin to strap it down. I told him i bought it to bbq not look at. I will have it all scratched up in a couple months anyways so don't worry about it. He looked at me like I was crazy lol

jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
Chappy
Got Wood.

Wow. Thanks for that pic. It is way too tall to put on the back of my truck.

You guys that own them, would the smaller version work for competitions? Or would you need one more smoker

Old 02-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
basuraman
Full Fledged Farker

I drool over there website often. I would love one of there trailers. But I do not have that much cash..

Old 02-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
jmoney7269
Banned

You know the old saying goes, find a pit that you think is the size you want and need for your type and style of cooking, then buy the next size bigger.
I like the dry cooking technique of the vault . Different shelves have different cooking results. The top rack IMO is best suited for chicken. It browns the skin alot better from the malliard reaction. Bottom rack can be foiled to catch drippings to make a really dry environment if you want good bark formation. Keeps the juices from hitting the bottom drip pan. So many ways to cook with the vault. I still think a UDS cooks a better chicken from the direct coals. Never was a big smoked chicken fan, I like it BBQ'd and apparently the judges concur.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #10
garzanium
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269;2368905
The only way you will get a vault off the back of a truck is with a forklift or tractor and that's it. Any other way is gonna be too dangerous. Pitmaker has had some people drop them off the back trying to unload them and advises against truck loading. It's funny Becaise George was all careful tryin to strap it down. I told him i bought it to bbq not look at. I will have it all scratched up in a couple months anyways so don't worry about it. He looked at me like I was crazy lol
[IMG
http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac174/justinmargist/B38D9B39-A066-40FC-B06F-D75E0565E3DD-3695-0000047E0A8CFD79.jpg[/IMG]

Think a Pitmaker Safe (450lbs) on a cart would be feasible for a truck with a winch mounted on the bed and atv ramps?
Edit- I meant for taking to cookoffs or comps on a regular basis- not just for the initial purchase

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
Hook'n Bull
Knows what a fatty is.

Think a Pitmaker Safe (450lbs) on a cart would be feasible for a truck with a winch mounted on the bed and atv ramps?

I own a Safe with the cart and although it could probably be done it would be way too much trouble in my opinon. A single axle utility trailer with a drop ramp would easily handle Vault or Safe. Could either buy one or rent from U-haul for about $16 a day.
Hook'n Bull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #12
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm waiting anxiously for the call to pick up my Long Rifle Sniper. Looked at the vaults, but all I've ever known is offsets, so sticking with that....easier to get in and out of the trailer as well...
smokeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #13
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

What are some of the differences between what Pitmaker has versus a Backwoods?

Old 02-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #14
Chappy
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeisgood View Post
I'm waiting anxiously for the call to pick up my Long Rifle Sniper. Looked at the vaults, but all I've ever known is offsets, so sticking with that....easier to get in and out of the trailer as well...
That looks like a good one also. I just don't want to have to add fuel that often. But I originally liked that one first, then saw the vault.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #15
SDAR
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Allen

I've got the vault on an LT1 trailer. I can't imagine it being portable any other way.
SDAR is offline   Reply With Quote