Breaking out the Carson Rodizio

stickman

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi folks

Just joined the forum and as a result got inspired to break out the Carson Rodizio today, which I haven't used for ages. My buddy Josh was over and he prepped up some teriyaki chicken wings and boneless thighs, and some veggies and rice to go with.

The Rodizio is so crazy fun, although they don't tell you (a) what a PIA it can be to skewer the meat, especially for fiddly stuff like boneless thighs and (b) what a PIA clean-up is! Still, it's so worth it.

I have my Rodizio mounted on an Engelbrecht Braten 1000 from 2014. This is an interesting grill - as an offset smoker, it has some limitations - the firebox is kinda small, and there is no grease management system, so if you are working indirect you need to be super careful to catch your drips. But it is a fantastic searer and if they had designed it with the Carson Rodizio in mind they could hardly have done a better job. It fits really snug and secure, with the motor and electric cord out of harm's way, protected by the lid. Pics below.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 151
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 147
  • Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 147
  • Picture8.jpg
    Picture8.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 144
Awesome! I haven't seen one of those in quite a long time. I think it was Capt. Ron(Ron L) that brought his out to a Chicago Brethren Bash years ago. Ron, you still got yours?

Awesome! I haven't seen one of those in quite a long time.

I became a rodizio fan after a couple of business trips to Brazil. Love me some picanha (top sirloin cap) - slice the seared bit off super thin, salt the remains and stick it back on the rodizio to sear some more. The meat gets fried by the drippings from the fat cap - tastes completely different to any other kind of steak. And better at home than at a commercial churrascaria - there they fill you up with the cheaper stuff so you don't have enough room for the picanha!

Great looking cook! And welcome to the forum!

I always thought that grill was really cool. Toyed with getting one years ago but didn’t think it was large enough. In hindsight, I think it would have been fine.

Great looking cook! And welcome to the forum!

I always thought that grill was really cool. Toyed with getting one years ago but didn’t think it was large enough. In hindsight, I think it would have been fine.

I kind of agree with you - there is not enough clearance on the side spits for anything larger than wings. For something like picanha, or pineapples, you are pretty much limited to the middle spits.

For a while they were selling some cross-bars and connectors that would allow you to connect two units in a row, which I think would be a better set-up. But I just looked and I don't see them on the site shop anymore.

> For a while they were selling some cross-bars and connectors that would allow you to connect two units in a row, which I think would be a better set-up. But I just looked and I don't see them on the site shop anymore.

Got in contact with Blake from Carson and it seems this product disappeared due to an oversight during a site upgrade. Back now:

2x SKEWER SHELVES

Seems way too far away from the heat source.

I've not had trouble with that. In fact you have to watch items on the lower rack carefully for flare-ups, and sometimes you have to move them to the upper rack for part of the cook. Cook-time is usually reasonable and you can get plenty of char if you want. You do have to pay close attention to fire management. I don't think the distances are so very different to what you might see in the kitchen of a Brazilian grill joint.

I wouldn't try cooking a large piece of meat - like a whole chicken - on this though. Weber with rotisserie attachment is better for that, because you can enclose the cook with the lid.

Back