Wasabi & Soy pork jerky

PitRow

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Mike
So I've made a handful of batches of these now and I really like the flavor/heat combo, but I've only done them in the dehydrator. I've been meaning to try them smoked for some time, and I thought I'd try out the new-to-me GMG pellet grill to see how it does as a jerky smoker. Kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Wasabi/Soy pork jerky

• 5 lbs tight trimmed pork loin, sliced for jerky
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup wasabi mustard
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 6.25 grams cure #1 (or per instructions)
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2.5 Tbsp kosher salt
  • 3 Serrano peppers, finely diced
  • 1 Tbsp (or more) freshly ginger paste
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 2 Tbsp hoisin
  • 2 spoonfuls minced garlic
  • sesame seeds (optional)
After trimming I had right around 2.5 pounds of pork, so a perfect half batch. I mixed everything (except the sesame seeds) up in a large ziplock and let it rest in the fridge for 3 days, turning and massaging often.

When it was time to smoke it, I pre-heated the grill to the lowest setting, 150, then placed the unrinsed pork on skewers on the grills expansion rack. The 2.5 pounds fit perfectly.

53587b7ee7314fcd643e08acbe67614e.jpg

29bf53b42ad48b52fe72681a27ba20c1.jpg

Usually I sprinkle on the sesame seeds as it's going in the dehydrator, but I forgot to add them this time. I let it go for about 5 hours. As I kind of figured it would the bottoms got more done than the top, so if I choose to use this again I'll need to figure out something to mitigate that.
1d1b2530c36f3781ba2e74858a84a8ed.jpg

After the 5 hours I removed the rack and took off the pieces that were done. The rest went into the convection oven at 145 to finish a little more.

6f5cf05b1967adc962786e7f0fb15c21.jpg

In all I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I love what the smoke adds to this so I'll definitely be smoking this recipe again. I'm not so sure the GMG is the way to go for jerky, but I kind of expected that. I doubt I'll be using it for jerky again, but the convenience factor is pretty nice. Since my MES died I don't have an "easy" option for smoked jerky.

Anyway, thanks for looking!

Wasabi Mustard?
Ive made Wasabi Mustard with Wasabi paste and hot mustard powder.
yeah, I guess mustard is probably not the right term there. It's basically wasabi horseradish, probably doesn't even contain any real wasabi.

D_NQ_NP_864229-MCO52149997893_102022-O.jpg

yeah, I guess mustard is probably not the right term there. It's basically wasabi horseradish, probably doesn't even contain any real wasabi.

D_NQ_NP_864229-MCO52149997893_102022-O.jpg

Yeah i have that brand too. I like their glass jar horseradish, but that stuff is garbage.
These are the brands i have. SB isn't as good as PURE Japanese Wasabi powder, but its nostril burning, especially if you mix with SB hot mustard powder.
Pure wasabi powder is actually more complex and sweet.

20240326-231909.jpg

When you make up from the powder - The more you stir it, the hotter it gets!

Keep stirring!

Back