UPDATE: I smoked a flat!

jhwhite

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I tried a flat about 5 years ago and it came out inedible. My g/f's sister wanted a brisket for her birthday so I took a second shot at it.

It came out really good! I smoked it around 250 until around 165. Then wrapped and smoked it until 190. I was going to take it to 205 but I went ahead and probed and it was tender.

There were areas that were on the verge of being dried out but the vast majority of it was perfect. Because I pulled it a little early it didn't have a great bark, but for this attempt I'm happy with taste.

Attachments

• brisket_flat.jpg
    brisket_flat.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 184
Looks good. In my experience good bark happens before you wrap and pulling early shouldn’t affect that. Maybe try wrapping a little later but with a flat that would be risky. I’ve only ever done packers but I’ve got a black angus flat in the freezer I’ll be doing soon.

Nice work! On a flat I'd sacrifice some bark for tenderness.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Looks good. In my experience good bark happens before you wrap and pulling early shouldn’t affect that. Maybe try wrapping a little later but with a flat that would be risky. I’ve only ever done packers but I’ve got a black angus flat in the freezer I’ll be doing soon.

I agree with this. In general I don't wrap until I have the bark I want. If that means leaving it on through some of the stall so be it. But I've only done packers also. But I don't think the flat will dry out if you don't get to being completely done before wrapping. Also can increase heat earlier to get more bark maybe.

Back