MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:39 AM   #1
Chezmatt
Full Fledged Farker

Default Cook time for a 10 lb brisket?

I've made a few briskets before, but only in the 4-5 lb range. An overly generous friend has recently given me a couple of 10 lb briskets , and I'm trying to plan a little BBQ to celebrate. I'll be using my WSM, and I usually run it in the 240-250 range. At that temp, can anyone give me a ballpark cooking time for a 10 lb brisket?
Also, assuming that I do want to foil it (and I do), any advice on when to foil it? Should I go by time or internal temp?
Thanks!
22.5" WSM (x2) /[COLOR=Orange][B] Orange [/B][/COLOR]& [B]Black [/B]Mini-WSM / Lion gas grill / [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B]Green[/B][/COLOR] Weber Performer / [COLOR="Red"][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] & [COLOR="gold"][B] Gold [/B][/COLOR] Mini-WSM / XL Big Green Egg
Chezmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2011, 01:54 AM   #2
Chris_R
On the road to being a farker

The last brisket I did was 11lbs and It only took 8.5 hours at 275 in my WSM. I foiled it at 170, and when it hit 195 it passed the probe test so I pulled it and let it rest for about 90 minutes in a cooler. It was my personal best brisket IMO, and the opinions of my family.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-11-2011, 02:33 AM   #3
LVBBQMan

I have a go-by chart I have used thats says cooked at 240 degrees count on 1.5 hrs/lb with a finish temperature of 185 degrees if you are going to slice it and 195 if you are going top pull it I have used that successfully with smaller briskets but that would work out to 15 hrs for a ten pound brisket which seems high to me. Sorry if that leaves you as confused as before. But we know at 240-250 it will take longer than 8.5 hours Chris R cited because of his higher cooking temperature. Not real sure how much this varies from smoker to smoker but I am guessing it does somewhat.
LVBBQMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2011, 05:54 AM   #4
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

There are so many opiniions on cooking briskit. When you cook yours, take notes and let us know what you did. I want to try to smoke my 1st one next weekend.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:11 AM   #5
Chris_R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
There are so many opiniions on cooking briskit. When you cook yours, take notes and let us know what you did. I want to try to smoke my 1st one next weekend.
This is true. I had never attempted one until I found this forum, and I have just tried what seemed to be the most popular methods.

The one I mentioned earlier involved a mustard slather, and Plowboys Bovine Bold rub about 12 hours prior to going on, and an injection of beef broth with more rub mixed in it injected about 30 minutes prior to going on the WSM.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:01 AM   #6
Warthog
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ed

I never cook by time. When it's done it's done. I foil at 165-170 and place in a cooler wrapped in a towel at 195-200. Let it sit in the cooler for a few hours and then it's good to go.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:34 AM   #7
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Give it 1hr/lb for a 250* cooking temp at the grate, but as long as you don't procrastinate on the foil, wrapping should make it go a little faster. I'd foil at 160-165*, and speaking of foil, I'd foil the pan as well and skip the water. Water in the pan inhibits bark formation.

Since you're planning on wrapping anyway though, cooking at a higher temp won't hurt a thing. Personally, if wrapping, cooking at 275* like Chris R. mentioned would be my plan so I wouldn't have to start as early. Have fun though, whatever you decide to do. You should enjoy the results much more than those puny "briskets" you mentioned smoking before.