MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #61
Royalslover
Full Fledged Farker

Not to hijack this but I have a question. My APL book "Serious BBQ" is all marked up from trying many of his recipes. Him and AF are the two guys that I really try to emulate. Funny because Aaron is the ultimate KISS cook and APL likes to do all kinds of things to his meat. Question is about the fler-del-sel. I can't find it anywhere. I found some similar finishing salt but have not used it yet. Do any of you use it and does it really add that much to the flavor? Still can't believe there was an APL sighting-I'm glad he finally found some matches!
Royalslover is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #62
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalslover View Post
Not to hijack this but I have a question. My APL book "Serious BBQ" is all marked up from trying many of his recipes. Him and AF are the two guys that I really try to emulate. Funny because Aaron is the ultimate KISS cook and APL likes to do all kinds of things to his meat. Question is about the fler-del-sel. I can't find it anywhere. I found some similar finishing salt but have not used it yet. Do any of you use it and does it really add that much to the flavor? Still can't believe there was an APL sighting-I'm glad he finally found some matches!
Well any discussion of APL would have to include fleur de sel, right? I don't know too many details, but it's a type of sea salt. I'm gonna guess you could probably use sea salt in the place of fleur de sel if you can't find it. I'd say it's more of a flavor enhancer rather than adding a different element to the flavor. Using sea salt or fleur de sel does make a difference when finishing IMO.

I hear ya on the differences - I tend towards KISS but once in a while it's fun to dig into a recipe and a cooking process, and APL's got that going on for sure.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 11:05 PM   #63
LittleHill Smoke
On the road to being a farker

You guy's that are going tomorrow have a great time. I wish I could meet up!

Old 07-30-2013, 12:20 AM   #64
APL
Found some matches.

Looking forward to meeting all that are able to make it tomorrow.
I just set up a site that can help with directions and tell you a bit more about what is happening. Www.aplseriousbarbecue.com

Regarding the Fleur du Sel. It's nice but not imperative. I like the texture of the salt, the taste is not such a big factor. Some of my recipes can be fussy, but also like to keep it real simple sometimes. One of my favourite rubs is garlic salt, black pepper, salt and cayenne. Cooking for me is never an absolute, sometimes it can be very involved, other times KISS
APL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2013, 01:07 AM   #65
INphotog
Got rid of the matchlight.

Now that is a nice setup and the food looks great!
INphotog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2013, 01:37 AM   #66
Heisenberger
Knows what a fatty is.

I've been looking forward to returning soon This is defenitely something rare. I'll try to make it out early tomorrow
Heisenberger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #67
Pig Daddy
Full Fledged Farker

A couple of comments.. 1) Thanks for sharing! Serious BBQ is one of the first books I bought when getting into BBQ. It really opened my eyes; 2) Food and set up look fantastic!; 3) APL is thinner than I thought he'd be. Actually, he looks in fit condition. Perhaps his next book should be entitled "Stay Fit Recipes of a Kick Arse BBQ Chef ~ Secrets to My Success (I'd buy that); 4) Pitfolk? Probably doubles as security and 5) You're a lucky dude!

Very cool post!

Oh and hey, I just noticed that this post has made me a "Full Fledged Farker." Just one more reason your post is so awesome!
Pig Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #68
Royalslover
Full Fledged Farker

Well poke me with a dull skewer-APL just responded to my post. Thanks Adam, Serious BBQ is my go-to book for recipes and bathroom reading(which I do often). Now if I can can get AF to slice me some brisket my life will be complete.
Royalslover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #69
Phubar

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfinger View Post
HA,
If your dream looked anything like this it could have turned into a nightmare real fast

I recognize the Phirst 3 Pharkers but who are the 2 guys on the right?

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #70
gtr

^^^Moose is next to Mista and Campdude is all the way to the right.

I'm getting hungry!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?

Old 07-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #71
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

L to R, Moose, Campdude.

Smoking up the "Fattened Fat Of The Cow".
Got a stick-burner! :mrgreen:
UDS In Progress: Thank's Q-Junky! :thumb:
Blackstone griddle.
50 year Old Imperial Kamado with ears.
Fire pit. Weber Kettle.
silverfinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #72
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

LOL, Beat me

Smoking up the "Fattened Fat Of The Cow".
Got a stick-burner! :mrgreen:
UDS In Progress: Thank's Q-Junky! :thumb:
Blackstone griddle.
50 year Old Imperial Kamado with ears.
Fire pit. Weber Kettle.
silverfinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #73
gtr

Ahh, youth!
WTFWGALD?

Old 07-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #74
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Have a rib or two for me please!!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #75
deguerre

I'm only 2,000 miles or so away. Anybody wanna gimme a ride?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote