MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #76
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Great pics John!!! The way you put them together really tells a story of how it all went, kind of like on Top or Master Chef where they have to cook for a group. IMO your storyboard beats any episode I've ever seen on TV.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #77
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

No Guerry, Willow forgot the large bottle of vinegar sauce I had for her. Too bad, as it is a really good seasoned vinegar, no mustard. Just vinegar, loads of black pepper and pepper sauce and a little ketchup. I had a few people come up to me and mention how they were glad to see it.

Funny enough, one soldier came up to me and mentioned that he doesn't much care for pulled pork, and doesn't consider chicken or tri-tip to be BBQ. He then said that the pulled pork was the best he had ever had and really enjoyed it. Then shook his head and said he was going to have to re-apply for his Texas Cred when he got home.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #78
peeps

Great pics, guys! Thanks for sharing!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #79
landarc

I think the real story for me, was watching and seeing the people. Like those guys who did the music, it was clear that the guy at the laptop was into music and running the show. In so many cases, the uniform strips away the individual to people outside the circle. Clearly this is a young man who loves his music.

There was a young blonde woman, who I first met at 6:30am, she was all business, in her camo uni and getting things done. Around 9am, she disappeared and came back, all frilly and girly, a total change once she was in civvies. Most of these folks are National Guard who are attached to the Army. So,they have lives outside of the Army, and those little glimpses really humanize the people, and the event.

The guy in the cowboy hat, I saw walking by with his third plate of food, he immediately said 'it's for my little girl, she eats twice as much as I do' as she is rolling her eyes at daddy.

I think my enduring take-away will be the relationship between CSM Swift and his sergeants. He constantly made little funny digs about education at his Sergeants, and when I looked at him, he explained that they were all career Army and he wanted them to complete their educations, which most of them had stopped. He felt that finishing college, no matter how hard, would give them a chance to move up. He seemed to genuinely care about his reports. Here was a guy with multiple campaign ribbons, Airborne Ranger, Several insignias on his dress uni and he seemed to genuinely care about his people moving on and up.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 12-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #80
deguerre

He sounds exactly like the Commander one would hope for.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #81
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

Was an honor to be a small part of this. The troops really appreciated everything we did for them. Great bunch of folks doing good things. Can't think of a better way to spend a day!

Old 12-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #82
Harbormaster

Name/Nickname : Clark

What an OUTSTANDING thing to do for OUTSTANDING men and women.

I applaud all of you!

Well done ladies and gentlemen. Well done indeed.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #83
slow-smoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice job in getting everything in place and feeding such a large group. I see a lot of happy faces in the photos, and I can tell from the pictures that you guys were throwin' down some good eats. Well done!

-[B]Mike[/B]

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]48" Klose Backyard Chef[/COLOR], Primo Oval XL[/SIZE]

Stealth-Grey Thermapen, Maverick ET-732
slow-smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #84
BBQ PD
is one Smokin' Farker

Great shots John, you did an awesome job capturing the day on film, or should I say, digital.

CBJ, 15' custom BBQ trailer with a Backwoods Competitor, Pitts & Spitts off-set, & Santa Maria grill. Ole Hickory CTO, 1 BGE, 2 Weber kettles and 1 Smokey Joe, BWS Chubby, Sonoma gasser, and a BBQ store full of everything BBQ.
BBQ PD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #85
T&S BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

No words can say what needs to be said, you guys did a great job, THANKS.

Peoria Custom Cooker, Brinkman Smokin Pit,
Webber 22 1/2" Kettle,Smokin-it #3,Smoky Joe,Orange super fast Thermapen ,Awesome Brethren Mini, 18.5" WSM, Blackstone Pizza oven, Weber Genesis Premium Grill, Blackstone 36" stainless steel griddle, Stainless UDS
T&S BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2013, 12:28 AM   #86
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

John, I have been waiting for your pictures and knew they would be awesome. Thanks so much. You did not disappoint. You captured it all. Awesome!

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2013, 01:25 AM   #87
Hitman0321
Full Fledged Farker

Great pics! Marty, thank you, brother.
Hitman0321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #88
rdstoll
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey guys this is absolutely awesome. Thanks for doing this for those that serve us!

If I could ask, what was the meat/person ratio that was purchased for this group? Am probably going to try a large cook for our church next year and am starting to sketch out ideas for what it would take.

May 2014 Shirley Fabrication 24x65" Cabinet model trailer pit with warmer

Kamado Joe "Big Joe"

Very ugly UDS
Weber Performer
rdstoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #89
BBQ PD
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdstoll View Post
If I could ask, what was the meat/person ratio that was purchased for this group? Am probably going to try a large cook for our church next year and am starting to sketch out ideas for what it would take.
Tri tip = 1/4 lb per person, pulled pork = 15-20 people per butt, chicken breast split in half, but only cook enough for 75% of the people, mac & cheese = 25 servings per 1/2 steam tray, beans = 40 people per #10 can, but this was a very doctored up recipe with a lot of extra goodies thrown in, so if you are using beans right out of the can, you might want to reduce it to 30 people per #10 can, and we did Caesar salad, which was 14 Costco bags of romaine hearts. You can figure 20 servings per on package of the romaine hearts. Hope this helps.

CBJ, 15' custom BBQ trailer with a Backwoods Competitor, Pitts & Spitts off-set, & Santa Maria grill. Ole Hickory CTO, 1 BGE, 2 Weber kettles and 1 Smokey Joe, BWS Chubby, Sonoma gasser, and a BBQ store full of everything BBQ.
BBQ PD is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #90
landarc

Those numbers were spot on. We had a number of no-shows, maybe 75 or so. Thus we had some leftover, but, that is okay, you never want to run out. And I did end up inviting some other folks over to eat with us, such as the party next door and some of the soldiers in the admin office. The XO asked if he could call them in, and it made sense to do just that.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]