Do you have a favorite brush/method/tool for cleaning grates?

rwalters

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I have tried way to many brushes/methods over the years when it comes to cleaning dirty grates. From cheap to pricey and everything in between.

Bought a Billy Bar a couple of years ago and this has hands down become my favorite method. Affordable, safe, simple, quicker than you’d think and just flat out cleans from every angle :)

www.billybar.com

What’s your preferred method/tool?

I use a commercial boiler brush from the restaurant supply store near me. Long handle. Large brush head. Large, well installed wire bristles that don’t come out (and if they did they are very easy to see because of the size). It was like $25.

I use a commercial boiler brush from the restaurant supply store near me. Long handle. Large brush head. Large, well installed wire bristles that don’t come out (and if they did they are very easy to see because of the size). It was like $25.

Had one of those for several years. Bought it online. Sucker wasn’t cheap! I think the brand was something like LaJo (sp?). It was the best “brush“ that I have ever used. That being said, I still like my $15 Billy Bar more… lol.

OMG the Billybar, I have a little tool I made to get hooks from bluegills and crappie that looks pretty much like it. Needless to say, I like the concept :wink:

I read of people using wadded up foil and it's been my go to method every since. I almost always have some foil after most cooks and I get a second use from it at no cost.

I have tried way to many brushes/methods over the years when it comes to cleaning dirty grates. From cheap to pricey and everything in between.

Bought a Billy Bar a couple of years ago and this has hands down become my favorite method. Affordable, safe, simple, quicker than you’d think and just flat out cleans from every angle :)

www.billybar.com

What’s your preferred method/tool?

hX7QYR8.jpg

You know I'm a gadget man..... I like brass brushes because you can rinse them in hot water. I buy the square ones in the paint department called a 'stripping brush'.

For grates, I bought a stainless steel BBQ fork for $1 and cut off the tines and use it for a grate scraper. One year, I lost it during a remodel, and sacrificed a $0.10 paint stirring stick I customized with a pocket knife and a rat-tail file. I now have the SS one back in hand, but that paint stick is pretty handy.

hX7QYR8.jpg

You know I'm a gadget man..... I like brass brushes because you can rinse them in hot water. I buy the square ones in the paint department called a 'stripping brush'.

For grates, I bought a stainless steel BBQ fork for $1 and cut off the tines and use it for a grate scraper. One year, I lost it during a remodel, and sacrificed a $0.10 paint stirring stick I customized with a pocket knife and a rat-tail file. I now have the SS one back in hand, but that paint stick is pretty handy.

You da man!

Q: What do y'all use to clean GrillGrates?

I've tried a number of different strategies, none of which is perfect. Tried burning (good for the stuff at the top of the grates, doesn't get the stuff the blocks the holes at the base), tried Simple Green detergent (based on a rec from GG website), used straight up degreaser, etc. Nothing really seems to do all of the job.

Thanks!
Bruce

I like to use fire and heat. I have been known to take them out and use a pressure washer once or twice a year.

Q: What do y'all use to clean GrillGrates?

I've tried a number of different strategies, none of which is perfect. Tried burning (good for the stuff at the top of the grates, doesn't get the stuff the blocks the holes at the base), tried Simple Green detergent (based on a rec from GG website), used straight up degreaser, etc. Nothing really seems to do all of the job.

Thanks!
Bruce

I know GrillGrates sells a brush, but this is what I have used for years now (mine is similar to this). Works great IMO. You have to use at a slight angle, but it gets the job done.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XWNK2DP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Z1JZ4HT0A2TQHTM45PES

All kidding aside, I still have a dual sided long handled brush that still works pretty well after 10+ years. One one side is a scrub pad, the other has bristles. For hard to remove gunk, I have a simple scraper tool that gets the crusty, hard to remove stuff off.

Back