MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Ackman
Full Fledged Farker

Default How long can u hold ribs--

Have two packages of cyrovaced pork spare ribs in the fridge for a week--planned to sort through them for upcoming comp. and freeze--didnt get around to it,,,,are they still Ok?
WSM 18"
CookShack SM025
Lang 36
BWS Extended Party
Humphrey's Battle Box and matching Pint
Ackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
OL' Timer
On the road to being a farker

look for the pack date you have 3 weeks from then to use or freeze

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
pjcd
Found some matches.

Has anyone ever vacuum sealed cooked ribs, froze them and then served them some months later??? How did they hold up? I've done it that way with pulled pork, and it holds up fine, just boil the pork in the sealed bag, comes out really moist.
pjcd is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcd View Post
Has anyone ever vacuum sealed cooked ribs, froze them and then served them some months later??? How did they hold up? I've done it that way with pulled pork, and it holds up fine, just boil the pork in the sealed bag, comes out really moist.
I do it all the time and it works fine, for us.
Fact is, our supply of cooked is running low so I have 4 slabs of Baby Backs in the freezer to cook up and then freeze into serving size portions.

Good Eats!

TIM

Old 09-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
pjcd
Found some matches.

Well, just finished, vacuumed sealed two racks,,,, I'll let you know this winter.
pjcd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Well, just finished, vacuumed sealed two racks,,,, I'll let you know this winter.
Make sure the bones don't puncture the bag when you put them away.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
OL' Timer

We cover the bone ends with double layer of foil when vac packing

Old 09-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
Twelvegaugepump
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Do you guys reheat them in boiling water like you do pulled pork? I am thinking that these would make great Christmas gifts for my employees.
Twelvegaugepump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
sunrise

Default do it all the time

Quote:
I Food Saver bag all the racks of ribs we cook and dont sell at farmers markets we do. I seal & freeze the whole rack. When I am ready to use them, I thaw them out, wrap in foil, add a little apple juice, some of our sauce and put them in the smoker for about 45 minutes. They come out great, sometimes they are more tender & fall off the bone than usual, but a lot of folks love them that way. Just dont leave in the smoker too long, they wil turn to mush.
Wrorks well for us
sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
gator320
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I blast freeze then vacuum chamber whole racks for resale and most customers just through them on the grill or place packaged ribs in a pan of water then into the oven to warm them back up. Just like most do with vacuum bagged pulled pork in simmering water to reheat.
gator320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvegaugepump View Post
Do you guys reheat them in boiling water like you do pulled pork? I am thinking that these would make great Christmas gifts for my employees.
I remove them from the cryo and reheat them in the oven. I don't like the way they turn out when boiled in the bag.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote