What do you guys use to clean your BBQ Pits?

vance237

I've had my pit for a while now (don't want to say how long LOL) and I figure it's time for a good cleaning. Suggestions? I want to make sure I'm not using anything harmful, also want to clean it and use it again realatively quickly....

Thoughts?

I have a lang. I get it up to 400/500 and spray it down inside with the garden hose close it up take back up to 500 spray agian and do it a 3rd time. Open it up scrap off racks anything left scrap off tray in bottom put back together take back up to 500 spray one more time to get the rest then back to 500 to dry it out and then spray it down with pam as it cools. will be like a seasoned dutch oven.

When I "clean" mine, I just use a putty knife/drywall knife and scrape the thick stuff off and that's about it. I just worry about getting the major buildup off, but I never scrub or soap em.

i dont so much clean as use fire to "sterilize" it, that's what i tell the wife. i do always take the ashes out though.

Actually I use oven degreaser/cleaner, then I pressure wash it down, then I re-season it pretty good...

For parts that I want sparkly clean, I use a sodium hydroxide oven cleaner.
I've refreshed some old heavily crusted Weber kettles using it and I'll hit my cooking grates with it once in a while to get them looking like new.
However, it is very corrosive and I wouldn't suggest using it on bare steel on a regular basis.
It's serious stuff so use gloves, don't breathe it, and keep the kids and dogs away.

A good layer of seasoning seals and protects so you don't really want to strip it off.
If the layer has become too thick, I'll scrape with a piece of wood, maybe a paint stick, or sometimes I use a ball of foil.
But I don't use water or any cleaner on the interior surfaces of my cookers except as needed to refurbish used equipment I've acquired.

Here's what I use. It's great stuff, and usually available at Home Depot.

Simple Green Heavy Duty BBQ & Grill Cleaner

prod_bbq_grill_lg.jpg

John

Pressure washer, or strong pressure hose. I tried the weed burner, but it was warping the stainless grates.

wallace

For a classic North Carolina pit the inside never got cleaned with anything other than a paint scraper. The grates are scraped and that's it. The only thing dear 'ol Grandpap wanted "clean" was the outside. That man didn't want his pit looking greasy from the outside.

As far as re-seasoning after cleaning...well...I've never "seasoned" a pit therefore never had the need to re-season. LOL

Clean? why, that's where you get good seasoned flavor from. Oh allright I guess you should scrape off the black stuff once in a while !

Hey "cook" I like your sig "BBQ...it's just heat & meat" That would make a great bumper sticker ! (can I borrow that ?)

Back