Low and Slow Pork Belly with Pron

SmokinAussie

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
G'Day Bruces' :becky:

Well, I thought I'd get the ball rolling on the Pork Belly Masters Cut!

I Lurrrrve Pork Belly and I've been doing it for a looooong time, but never have done one on my offset before!

Firstly, I got a big 5 1/2 lb belly from my local Asian Market.

Belly.jpg

I decided I would inject this with a simple concoction of simple Asian ingredients:

DSC_0002_2275.jpg

This was all brought to the boil, strained and allowed to cool.... Sure smelled good!
DSC_0009_2277.jpg

The belly was scored into cubes... very much Asian Style.
DSC_0007_2276.jpg

And then injected methodically into the bottom left hand corner of each segment
DSC_0014_2278.jpg

DSC_0016_2279.jpg

DSC_0017_2280.jpg

When it was done the skin was salted, making sure to get salt into all the scores. This PIC was after being in the fridge overnight.
DSC_0020_2282.jpg

And finally, I added a Chinese BBQ Sauce slather and marinaded for about 2 hours at room temp while I prepped the COS.

DSC_0023_2283.jpg

This pic is about an hour into the cook at a really high temp. To be honest, I didn't know how hot is was because my digital thermo's max out at 266F and all my standard thermo's are busted. Now, the reason a pork belly has to be cooked HOT for the first hour or so, is to render the fat from under the skin as soon as possible. If you do not do this, you do not get nice crackling later on. In any heating chamber.. an offset, an egg, a WSM or a danged oven, this is critical for your Asian style belly.
DSC_0024_2284.jpg

After the temp reached 130F internal, I backed the temp off to 250F for the rest of the cook. I was using lump and peach wood.:becky:

Here's a few more shots as we go...
DSC_0027_2287.jpg

DSC_0029_2289.jpg

DSC_0032_2292.jpg

DSC_0033_2293.jpg

DSC_0037_2297.jpg

DSC_0039_2299.jpg

Anyway.. after lots of hours and lots of shots of Johnnie Walker:thumb: it's done. I got to about 180F internal over about 6 hours. I wanted to get higher to see if it would pull... but myself and the wife and the kids were starting to get very hungry indeed.
DSC_0042_2302.jpg

First cut!
DSC_0043_2303.jpg

And then into cubes based on the scoring of the crackling...
DSC_0045_2305.jpg

This shot for LANDARC... yes, we had a tofu dish with this dinner!
DSC_0030_2290.jpg

Finally, last few shots....
DSC_0049_2309.jpg

DSC_0050_2310.jpg

DSC_0048_2308.jpg

Finally, you might be wondering why this belly, being Asian Style was not bright red in colour??:confused::confused:

Well, to get meat finished in that nice bright colour involves the use of particular red coloured food dye. I do sometimes whack that in for presentation, but frankly, it does not do anything for flavour, so I've persued the more natural presentation and colours. This belly was extremely moist and absolutely deeeelicious!

Cheers! And Thanks for Looking!

Bill

Last edited:
Finger lickin' good Bill!:thumb::thumb:

That is a fabulous belly tutorial! Thanks for that. I've done small pieces in the past, some good some not so. This I will try.

As an aside, always get a kick out of your greeting. My last name is Bruce and we were going to name our first son Michael Baldwin Bruce. Decided against it though. Australian professors, Monty Python and all....

Again, thanks for all that porky goodness!!!

Looks fantastic! :clap2: I gotta try cooking some pork belly. We've been getting pork belly rice bowls from a place nearby and that chit is great - time to do it at home...
Thanks for posting.:thumb:

Looks awesome Bill! That's some proper pork belly!

Cheers

Wow, nicely done siew yuk Bill, looks very good. You can get the red color with other ingredients as well, but, not really worth the effort for home dining.

Hey Bill, did the skin get real crispy or more caramelized and sticky? What happened to the tofu?

Hey Bill, did the skin get real crispy or more caramelized and sticky? What happened to the tofu?

Actually, a bit of both. It wasn't as crunchy as serious pork crackling, but was still really nice.

The tofu was fried, then I made a sauce from a mix of hoisin and ground bean sauce, chicken stock and a few other things. Tossed in the tofu to combine and added fresh bean shoots at the last second... no pics, sorry!

Actually, a bit of both. It wasn't as crunchy as serious pork crackling, but was still really nice.

The tofu was fried, then I made a sauce from a mix of hoisin and ground bean sauce, chicken stock and a few other things. Tossed in the tofu to combine and added fresh bean shoots at the last second... no pics, sorry!

Yeah, but the tofu frying in the pan pic did look pretty dang farking good.

Back