UDS lids

el_matt

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I haven't seen a UDS thread on here in a while, so I thought I'd post one.

So I made my first UDS (tried to upload pics, Yahoo! is being a pain in the arse). I used a Weber lid and grate (free from the brother in law), plus I had to cut the top of the barrel off.

Here's my question...Other than obvious visual and capacital ones, what are the differences between a UDS with a round lid and a flat lid? Does one cook "better" than the other, and why?

Matt

I was hot to trot on the Weber lid at one time, but have returned to the roots of drumdom and use the drum lids with eight 1/2" vent holes.

I still occassionally pull the Weber lid out for cooking Beer Can Chickens, but make sure I spin the lid during the cook because I've found that birds near the vent cooked faster-it just evens it out.

Cook on it long enough and you'll see.

I've got a flat lid but I'm lookin for a dome...so I can add another grate higher up. I do my beer cans on the gasser,(i think they come out better with the higher temps) Ribs, butt and brisket go on the drum.

I just use the Weber lid so I have more space...and I like the looks of it.
But what Swamp said...I rotate my lid once in a while cause your foods near the vent will be done sooner.
I think because of "the shortest path of least resistance" if you know what I mean.

I have yet to experience a noteable difference with the Weber lid, but I have yet to use the flat lid with 8 holes. My experience with a flat lid is that it drips "stuff" on the meat.

I was hot to trot on the Weber lid at one time, but have returned to the roots of drumdom and use the drum lids with eight 1/2" vent holes.

I still occassionally pull the Weber lid out for cooking Beer Can Chickens, but make sure I spin the lid during the cook because I've found that birds near the vent cooked faster-it just evens it out.

Cook on it long enough and you'll see.

Spin the lid!? :doh: I've been holding the lid in place...and spinning the drum!!

If you want to post Prons, use photobucket. Never had a problem with it. PM me if you need help.

I have yet to experience a noteable difference with the Weber lid, but I have yet to use the flat lid with 8 holes. My experience with a flat lid is that it drips "stuff" on the meat.

Explain "stuff", what can be done to improve situation if it is a problem??

IMHO

I cook with both Flat Top (single cook level) UDS smokers and with Weber (2 cook level) Domed Lid UDS smokers.

The increased cook level is great for capacity. The only slight difference I've noticed is air leaks from rough fitting domed lids. My Weber UDS leaks more air and ends up needing a little more fussing to manage temperatures and doesn't cook as long on the same amount of charcoal.

Now that shorter cook period could be due to air leaks and/or increased poundage of meats. In any case, I've used both types often enough I compensate pretty easily.

Explain "stuff", what can be done to improve situation if it is a problem??

When you cook with the flat lid, humidity in the drum caused from water pans, soaked chips, or just a drum loaded with meat, results in condensation on the lid. The soot, and other nasties that cling to the lid drip off with the moisture onto the meat, causing black spots on your meat. with the dome that doesnt happen. Also with the dome, it evenly reflects radiant heat around your meat. The dome is shaped that way for the even cooking in the kettles. Its that shape that made the kettles famous for good bbq.

Also the dome gives you enough room to put another 2-3 butts on an additional rack in the top of your barrel. What alot of people to to keep the temps equivilent to the flat top is they put extra round baffles that come on it. You can order them for $2 just drill some holes and mount it.

One thing you can do for the air leaks, is mount it on the barrel and tap the edge of the lip with a small peice of 2x4 and a hammer. It will form it more tightly around the barrel. if that doesnt fix it entirely, go to your local appliance shop, ace hardware, or internet site and order the silicone oven gaskets. it will seal the barrel perfectly.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it's more preference vs. "better". I had a feeling that's what I'd discover with this question.

Jim, I've tried using Photobucket, but my photos are in my Yahoo! e-mail, and that's been my problem. I'll get it figured out eventually...I hope

Matt

Back