Flies

Baby Back Maniac

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Everything is clean. I wipe down my cook area meticulously, but there is something about Dallas this time of year that every time I fire up the grill, the flies get everywhere.

I can't move ;) and I can't stop grilling :crazy: so does anybody have any good suggestions with how to deal with flies?

I appreciate your suggestions.

An old Mexican home remedy for flies. Hang bags of water around your cooking area. The light refracts and messes with their eyes.

No joke.

An old Mexican home remedy for flies. Hang bags of water around your cooking area. The light refracts and messes with their eyes.

No joke.

I have seen this done with simple 2-liter bottles filled with water. I can't vouch for how well it works but I know two places locally that swear by it.

No joke.
I can vouch for this also, some of the best greasy spoons/slumps I've eaten at in Tejas applied this technique with witnessed great effect.

Everything is clean. I wipe down my cook area meticulously, but there is something about Dallas this time of year that every time I fire up the grill, the flies get everywhere.

I can't move ;) and I can't stop grilling :crazy: so does anybody have any good suggestions with how to deal with flies?

Same here... every time I fire up a grill.
I've already got a gallon zip-lock half filled with water (and a shiny penny) ready to hang up.
I'll let y'all know in the afternoon how it works... or doesn't.

Lots of off the wall eateries have bags of water hanging from the ceiling, and I never see a fly around. I think they see their reflection and it scares them away or something like that.

But yes, this does work, especially for those pesky tiny fruit flies.

Ha, I was assuming that the hanging bags of water I saw down in a couple of famous Austin-area Q joints were to scare off the birds. Never considered they were for flies! Learn something new every day here.

The water bag trick was busted by Mythbusters. It didn't work for me either.

If you leave them hanging, add a little bleach. It's not foolproof but will help, as long as they are catching the sun.

So Bags of water seems to be the concensus along with beer and fly paper. I'll try all of it.

Question about the bags of water. Do you just use zip locks? how much to you fill it and how do you hang it?

This is a great site as I learned something new every day!!! I wonder if it will do the same to mosquitoes? Anybody know?

Yep, I have a terrible time with flies when I am smoking. They don't mess with the smoker, but they get in the house when I open the door to go in or out. GRRRRRR!

I thought it was just around my neighborhood, since I live a couple blocks away from a working cattle ranch and horse farm. But, I guess not.

I tried those traps you put the water in, and they worked great, but they really smell bad.

I have also had good results with those long paper glue traps. You can also tack some of those rat glue traps to the wall, and put some small pieces of food on them.

Nothing seems to get rid of them, altogether, but it cuts down a bit on the numbers.

CD

Okay, I am also going to try the water bags, just for grins. Got nothing to lose, right?

CD

Dont know anything about keeping flies away, but i do know something about keeping bees and mosquitos away.

For mosquitos, the best solution is to be sitting under a ceiling fan but any type of fan will help. They are tiny so a decent air current will blow them away from you. Wearing bug repellent is obvious but works very well too.

If bees are a problem this trick both keeps them away from you, and kills them. Take a 2L of mountain dew and drink or dump half of it. Set it near the area they are bothering you, but not too close or you might attract more by accident. Leave the cap off. Bees will be attracted into the bottle but its near impossible for them to escape. Bees not escaping means they cant go back to tell their friends, so fewer come back. Used to do this by the dumpster at my old job and we'd get 20 a day at least, sometimes we would use more than 1.

Back