Dad, pulled a fast one bought a....

J15491

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Ive been on the boards for a few years, mostly just read and soakin the information so thank you all for your wisdom, I graduated from culinary school (09 worked for a few places, low pay) somehow in heahlthcare now

I am my family and friends go to person for catering and food/kitchen advice, My mother and father are in Las Vegas, while doing some shopping my dad was approched by a Treager rep selling their grills/smokers, I guess they shot the **** for a while, my father called me said, " Son, Im talking to a Treager rep and the wants to sell me the big Tex for $1000 free shipping to the house, sounds good right?" I said " You know dad its and ok smoker but Im sure I can get you something better for the money if you really want a pellet smoker, (Im thinking Yoder)"he told me " hes a cool guy and showing me everythingit does, can it produces the same food you cook?... you know what im just going to go ahead and buy it, talk to you later, bye"

Any thoughts

On their site, they don't have a grill called "the big tex", although, there is a grill called "Texas Grill". If that's the one you're talking about, it's $999 retail anyway. So you're not gaining much other than the shipping. Not a deal I'd jump on unless this is the unit that fits YOUR needs.

That's a grand dude. Spend wisely.

Bob

p.s. Last year, a buddy of mine was going to sell me that same grill for $700, without shipping. So with the mark-up, the guy is paying for the shipping out of the profit anyway.

Ive been on the boards for a few years, mostly just read and soakin the information so thank you all for your wisdom, I graduated from culinary school (09 worked for a few places, low pay) somehow in heahlthcare now

I am my family and friends go to person for catering and food/kitchen advice, My mother and father are in Las Vegas, while doing some shopping my dad was approched by a Treager rep selling their grills/smokers, I guess they shot the **** for a while, my father called me said, " Son, Im talking to a Treager rep and the wants to sell me the big Tex for $1000 free shipping to the house, sounds good right?" I said " You know dad its and ok smoker but Im sure I can get you something better for the money if you really want a pellet smoker, (Im thinking Yoder)"he told me " hes a cool guy and showing me everythingit does, can it produces the same food you cook?... you know what im just going to go ahead and buy it, talk to you later, bye"

Any thoughts

The Texas Grill retails for $999.00 Texas Grill Page

On the website you also get to make 3 easy payments instead of one, and you get free shipping... Treager Deals Page

It's a good Smoker / Grill unit and will fit his needs fine, I just think the salesman was good at his job and had him on the hook rather quickly. No harm done, he just bought a smoker like everyone else has.

It comes with the digital control so it will be much easier for him to use than the analog three stage control.

Now you have to get him to log on here and participate..

Sounds like he has the money, and its ok to spend it. Its easy to run. He likes the cooker, its a good cooker, he's gonna cook on it and he's going to love it. I think :thumb:yes!

I think I'd prefer a Yoder too if I was going to go in that direction but hey...if he's made up his mind so be it.

One thing I've found (and I'm guilty of this too) is don't go trying to change someone's mind once it's set. You'd have better luck getting blood from a stone.

I hate to be a downer, but I bought that same grill at a Costco road show. Fan crapped out four months later. Enamel flaked off the lid after 8 months. Could never get it hotter than about 350 and the smoke temp imparts a very, very mild smoke.

Returned it as that was my right, that's why I shop at Costco.

For $1,000 - the RecTec is worth investigating. The Traeger is overpriced, in my very humble opinion. Again, I hate to be a downer as I'm sure there are many Traeger fans here. Just my experience.

Back