MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Maverick ET-73 at Comps

Last season I tried to use one of the cheap wireless meat probes at a competition and it was one that updates about every 5 seconds. It seemed that several other teams were using the same cheap unit as every 5 seconds it updated the temp it was very different ( ie 200, 250, 210, 240) like other teams units were operating on the same radio frequency. Never had a problem before or since with the unit except at the competition. I was thinking about buying a Maverick ET-73 and wonder if anyone who uses them has ever experienced this type of problem with it at a competition?

Old 01-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

My ET-73 never has done that here at home. I don't think it knows if it is at a comp or not.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Ok Jim how about if 15 other people decided to cooking in your back yard and use their Maverick at the same time as you, would your temp readings go

Old 01-10-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hummm, now that is a good point that I hadn't considered and I now see the basis of your question.

The range of the ET-73 isn't all that much, but would very probably pick up signals of adjacent units.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
Bentley
Babbling Farker

I have been using my for about 2 years at competitions, but have never seen it effect mine, but I have never really paid attention to what the teams next to me are using!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

I believe the Maverick's use varible signals and the remote reads the signal given off by the transmitter it first recognizes when it's turned on.

So as long as the units are not turned on at the same time it shouldn't be a problem. At least we've never had a problem at comps using them. We have 2 and have cooked multiple times between other teams using Mavericks without problem.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
I believe the Maverick's use varible signals and the remote reads the signal given off by the transmitter it first recognizes when it's turned on.

So as long as the units are not turned on at the same time it shouldn't be a problem. At least we've never had a problem at comps using them. We have 2 and have cooked multiple times between other teams using Mavericks without problem.

From what I read on the instruction sheet, some time back, that is correct. It has to "sync" in like 10 seconds or something like that, or you have to start over again.

I use two all the time and have not had any problems here at home or at a comp....

The only thing I don't like about them is the small wires. I wrap a double layer of hd foil around mine where the lid closed on them for more protection, and so far, so good. I have had the original one now for 3 yrs. and the 2nd one for 2 yrs. Looking at adding another.
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote