Smoked Stuffed Mushrooms

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

I've noticed that some people have mentioned stuffed mushrooms, but I haven't seen any discussions of how they've turned out. I've experimented with abt's and fatties and I was hoping to add mushrooms to the 'smoked appetizers' repertoire.

Thoughts?

Eric

I've done the stuffed bell peppers and abt's. Sorry, notta mushroom guy,

I'm not a mushroom fan, but the comp I judged one of the Salmon entries was a Mushrooms stuffed with Salmon and sauteed vegetables. I thought it was pretty good!

Brian

Try this. Get some portebellos with caps about 2 1/2 to 3 inches across. Remove the stems and marinate in Italian dressing 30 minutes to overnight. Grill stem side down over medium heat for 5 or 6 minutes. Just use your own judgement on the time. Then flip them over and fill the cavity with crumbled blue cheese. When the cheese melts, they're ready. Good eatin'. By the way, I learned this from Dr. BBQ when he did a cooking class in my area.

i did portebellos a few years back. marinaded a bit in italian dressing first, then put them in the chamber with a prime rib until they were a little soft.

they absorbed the smoke like a sponge and they tasted like I bit into my ash pan.

Like many Brethren, I LOVE mushrooms, and I've grilled a lot of them with great success. I can't wrap my mind around trying to smoke one, though. It just seems like they'd dry out, maybe. Phil's point is also a good one. That makes perfect sense to me. I think you'll just have to do some science and see what happens. . .

Edit: I just happened to think that the way to go would be to stuff your mushrooms with smoked meat and/ or smoked cheese. That would get you the smokiness without the ashpan effect. 'Cause the last thing you want is a nice, greasy smoked mushroom served in a dirty ashtray.

I usually throw in a pan of mushrooms (for about an hour) every time I cook. They soak up ALOT of smoke.

We turned this box in at a contest for our vegetable entry. They were smoked for about 15 mintues then finished on a hot WSM. I don't remember where they finished, which should tell you something about how they tasted (at least to the judges). I like them, but thought the box looked like chit. They do absorb a lot of smoke, it was just your basic stuffed mushroom recipe.

Attachments

• Royal06-Shrooms (Small).JPG
    Royal06-Shrooms (Small).JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 125
the wife does not like peppers so when i make abt's, i use the same stuffing for her in mushrooms and wrap with a piece of bacon. they are very good abd do not dry out at all.

Back