MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
agold791
Found some matches.

Default New Catering Business Question

A friend and I are working on starting a small BBQ business in NY and I'm trying to figure out our budget. We want to get this started the right way and be totally legit. Besides the HD permits, insurance, and business registration, what is the rough cost of startup? What cooker would you recommend? Any info would be a big help.
agold791 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

Step number 1
Go to the Health Department, in person, find out what the requirements are for what
you want to do. Some require it all to be built from Stainless Steel. Find out what the
Health Department laws are for where you live. They will likely have these regulation
printed out...so you don't make any mistakes.
Don't spend any money until you have talked to the Health Department. You don't
want to spend money on equipment that you can't use.

Don't assume that something is Legal and OK, because you saw somebody else on the
street doing it. Some people avoid the Health Department regulations by only selling
food on the weekends; when the Health Dept. is closed and they are unlikely to
get caught.

Last edited by Grillman; 12-07-2010 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: typo
Grillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 12-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
chromestacks
Full Fledged Farker

The HD is going to tell you that you need a commercial kitchen or commisary. Your home kitchen will not qualify! If you do not have something in the works, check with your church, fire dept, or butcher shop. The insurance that you mention does this include NYS disability? workmans comp? They are also required in addition to liability insurance. What type of catering are you offering? is all food to be cooked onsite? Do you intend to also have a BBQ stand that you sell out of? Grillman also made a valid point about not buying anything until you talk to the HD. GO There In Person. You will have a better understanding of the requirements when you leave. As far as start up cost, at the very minimum I would think you are looking at 8K-15K
Old 12-07-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
agold791
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromestacks View Post
The HD is going to tell you that you need a commercial kitchen or commisary. Your home kitchen will not qualify! If you do not have something in the works, check with your church, fire dept, or butcher shop. The insurance that you mention does this include NYS disability? workmans comp? They are also required in addition to liability insurance. What type of catering are you offering? is all food to be cooked onsite? Do you intend to also have a BBQ stand that you sell out of? Grillman also made a valid point about not buying anything until you talk to the HD. GO There In Person. You will have a better understanding of the requirements when you leave. As far as start up cost, at the very minimum I would think you are looking at 8K-15K
Initially, the plan is to provide a drop-off only service and no bbq stand. We may vend at festivals on occasion if this gets off the ground (I am aware that this would require a separate permit).
agold791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Matters not how you serve it, the HD will be involved if you go legit. My trailer passes HD, has refrigeration, an FEC500 and hot / cold water / 3 well, etc. $30,000 + $1500 a year in insurance and permits. Pellets at $700 a ton,....................etc
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
chromestacks
Full Fledged Farker

you will still need a commisary or a vending truck/trailer that passes the HD requirements. You need this no matter when/where/how you serve
Old 12-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromestacks View Post
you will still need a commisary or a vending truck/trailer that passes the HD requirements. You need this no matter when/where/how you serve
That statement has a lot to do with the state you live in. However, personal chefs in most places I heard, can get around the commisary issue. All must simply be done on site and must be a private function! YMMV!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #8
HandsomeSwede
Full Fledged Farker

The "private chef loophole" is a falsehood. Listen to chrome, looks like he's done this.
HandsomeSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

If you are going the private chef route make sure you know the rules.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #10
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

I did it last winter, I spent about $30-35k if you count equipment I already had. The all season long it seemed I needed more and more so I spent another $5000 during the season. Now in winter I am looking at growing pains and could spend another $12,000 if I had it. I wouls say done on the cheap you could do it as cheap as $5000 and ski is the limit on the high end.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #11
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by agold791 View Post
A friend and I are working on starting a small BBQ business in NY and I'm trying to figure out our budget. We want to get this started the right way and be totally legit. Besides the HD permits, insurance, and business registration, what is the rough cost of startup? What cooker would you recommend? Any info would be a big help.
Big question here is what your main objective is, full time or just local parties and events. New York State is tough with the comp laws and such to have a workforce, so start out small where the two of you can handle it and cost is up to you and what you have to spend, but be ready!
try to find someone in your area that you wont be stealing thier customers and belly up to them and ask questions, help out on a busy night...
Old 12-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #12
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsomeSwede View Post
The "private chef loophole" is a falsehood. Listen to chrome, looks like he's done this.
Ok, I guess, I have no farking idea what I am talking about.

I also guess, I have never catered a single event

That term comes from my HD, not a term, I farted out my arse!

Now, iffin he is doing drop off only, he will need to have a commisary.

I digress!