BBQ Brethren "Fruit" Throwdown

I would vote for the last shot. Thus condemning Gore to the bottom of the heap. No, I will use my vote for Ecode, gotta slow her down a bit.

Well Bob, I figure if you're going to vote for me, I better submit something. All sorts of fruit and berries are coming into season, and like usual I couldn't make up my mind what to make, so I baked a few of my husband's favorite things.

I began by pitting cherries

IMG_0219-1.jpg

until I had a nice bowl of them

IMG_0218-1.jpg

I mixed them with sugar and cornstarch let them maserate for 20 minutes. I lined some muffin tins with cream cheese pastry dough and baked these in the oval for about 40 minutes at 325*. Muffin tins are so versatile, did you know you can actually bake muffins in them?

IMG_0244-1.jpg

On to Blueberries. We have some high bush blueberries in the backyard just ripening, not enough for turnovers, so I supplemented with store bought.

IMG_0293-1.jpg

I baked the blueberry turnovers and some tartlet shells.

IMG_0246-1.jpg

I filled the shells with vanilla custard, covered with strawberries, and topped with melted apricot preserves

IMG_0275-1.jpg

I topped the cherry dumplings with whipped cream just before serving.

IMG_0286-1.jpg

I placed these in a basket

IMG_0249-1.jpg

and served them up for my husband with a glass of milk

IMG_0269-2.jpg

You're killing me here! Killing me I say! I have to wait until late Summer for my blueberries.

Stone Fruit Cobbler

Ok so I started out with peaches, apricots and mangos. Dusted with cinnamon sugar then off to the grill. Mixed up batter of flour,sugar, milk and almond extract. Peeled and chopped the fruit then into a simple syrup bath. Melted a stick of butter, added batter then fruit. Cooked 45 min. Topped with whipped cream. Please use last pic as entry.

Attachments

• cobbler 006.jpg
    cobbler 006.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 154
  • cobbler 004.jpg
    cobbler 004.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 156
  • cobbler 023.jpg
    cobbler 023.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 156
  • cobbler 021.jpg
    cobbler 021.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 155
  • cobbler 018.jpg
    cobbler 018.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 155
  • cobbler 015.jpg
    cobbler 015.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 155
  • cobbler 011.jpg
    cobbler 011.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 155
I'm gaining weight just looking at these pics! Except Richard Simmons. For some reason he makes me want to dance to the oldies.

I'm not going here until I can figure out what you all like. As was stated, this is not fair. Me thinks that there is a vast conspiricy happening. :crazy::cool::confused:

How is it that both Gore and ecode are doing cherries? And where are the prons with the kids? :shock:

I think I will have to change my name and never be Chef Jim ever again. Phil, can that be done?:laugh::laugh:

Regardless, that is some good lookin stuff. And Amber, WOW:cool:

Only Alan would post that. Maybe I can get him to do a real entry.

I had a great cherry based dish that I could have entered, but, it was done before the allowed time period. And you could not see the cherries. But, it is a great photo. Cherries are in season man.

I'm not going here until I can figure out what you all like. As was stated, this is not fair. Me thinks that there is a vast conspiricy happening. :crazy::cool::confused:

How is it that both Gore and ecode are doing cherries? And where are the prons with the kids? :shock:

What we like Jim is meat. We don't like ice cream because it hurts our teeths and there were no kids in my pron because they were asleep. I wanted it dark so you could see that pretty blue flame.

Well my cherries came frozen in a bag from Safeway, along with the ice cream. I'm surprised ecode didn't plant her own cherry tree years ago in anticipation of this throwdown -- maybe she did. :shocked:

I seem to be stuck. Having some sort of creative block or something. I cannot come up with a fruit dish, that can include grilling or smoking, with the exception of the peach or appricot thingy I made a few days ago. So, I redid it last night for desert. Here is my entry for what it's worth, pitted against these other entries I may yet get into the Zero club (get it? pitted?) yuk yuk:laugh::rolleyes:

Make the last picture my entry Chris. Thx.

Attachments

• fruit 009.jpg
    fruit 009.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 135
  • fruit 010.jpg
    fruit 010.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 134
  • fruit 011.jpg
    fruit 011.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 134
Back