Anybody watch the season opener of Pitmasters?

bruno994

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Thoughts...was a bit lackluster to me. I like the idea of lesser known teams, but not real sure about having the restaurant cooks included. Seems like it strayed a bit from the normal comp mode.

I thought it was pretty good. I like watching them to see the different types of smokers, and the variety of techniques and recipes used on the food, not for the competition aspect. This one had some interesting cookers. Everything from a Pitmaker using a few pounds of charcoal, to Buzzie's fire breathing dragon, that required a full on forest fire to run.

It sure as heck made me hungry for a 3 lb steak!

My thoughts are that if it was a show about a BBQ COOKING competition then it was fine for its purpose. If it was COMPETITION BBQ cooking then it left something to be desired. I feel it was about cooking comp and to me if that was the case then the turn in boxes with garnish really is not needed. As a COOKING bbq competition I will watch it again as well as the upcoming shows.

Yep...I watched it...it filled the gaps between football for me...that's about it.

Ernest is an all-star around the comp. circuit down here. He must have just started using pitmakers cause I remember him showing up one morning this past summer with his Weber kettles and taking GC home that day! lol He also won the chopped grilling series this past summer too, so he knows what he's doing.

For the record, most brisket turn in boxes don't look like what those guys turned in (with the exception of Ernest). I also think they should have left out the garnish, cause we don't do that chit down here in Texas.

Well put Fat Freddy...it has apparently moved more towards a Q cooking competition and not a Comp Q show. And that's fine with me and agree with drbbq as well, I watch the show for tips and ideas, as much as I do to look at what everyone is cooking on. It just seemed other than Ernest, the other 2 haven't had much interaction with others while cooking.
I really enjoyed the Ultimate BBQ Showdown with Tuffy, Myron, Bubba and Neil following Pitmasters. Drbbq, when was this filmed?

I liked it myself and I also enjoyed the Ultimate BBQ Showdown that followed it.

Well put Fat Freddy...it has apparently moved more towards a Q cooking competition and not a Comp Q show. And that's fine with me and agree with drbbq as well, I watch the show for tips and ideas, as much as I do to look at what everyone is cooking on. It just seemed other than Ernest, the other 2 haven't had much interaction with others while cooking.
I really enjoyed the Ultimate BBQ Showdown with Tuffy, Myron, Bubba and Neil following Pitmasters. Drbbq, when was this filmed?

It was filmed at the Final Four in Houston around March of 2011. It was all the same folks who do Pitmasters and ended up being kind of a test run for that format.
We were under the impression that they were thinking about doing a "Myron takes on all comers" show.
Then along came the new Pitmasters looking very similar but without me, Chris, and Mike Lake so I guess they liked it better with Myron judging. It was fun and I wish them all the best.

Ernest is an all-star around the comp. circuit down here. He must have just started using pitmakers cause I remember him showing up one morning this past summer with his Weber kettles and taking GC home that day! lol He also won the chopped grilling series this past summer too, so he knows what he's doing.

For the record, most brisket turn in boxes don't look like what those guys turned in (with the exception of Ernest). I also think they should have left out the garnish, cause we don't do that chit down here in Texas.

Pretty sure the "General Lee" as its known, still belongs to Pitmaker, I could be wrong but it was not built for "Burnt Bean Company".

George and Victor do a good job of getting their products in the picture so to speak. Big Mista' does not own a Pitmaker either, but lo and behold there was both George and one of their pits on the show immediately afterwards that Dr.BBQ was on.

I was cooking right next to this show in Bedford and was shocked to see it there.

His winnings from the Chopped show were put towards a blacked out trailer with a Black Pitmaker vault on the back, you can see it on their facebook page, its pretty sweet.

And we do, do that here in Texas, whenever KCBS comes to town. :wink:

We were at the Bedford comp and watched a lot of the taping, as we were right behind their setup. It was interesting to watch how long the show took to tape. They literally made them open the coolers, and "act" like they were looking for the first time 5 times. They started their briskets in the middle of the night, so those were already cooking when they opened the coolers. The banter between the teams was begged for by the director/producers. The "watching the judges live" was done hours after the judges tasted their food, and they would start the tv, then ask them to comment on it multiple times for each 10 seconds of video. Especially Will, was beaten down and frustrated by the process, but he was asked to be on the show the week before, he never sent in a video.

It was fun to see the show made, and was great to meet Tuffy, Franklin and the King himself!!!!

I enjoyed the slight change in format. It was good to see different types of BBQ, instead of just competition style. It was interesting (for me) to see how the restaurant chef's had a completely different approach to a turn-in box. It was refreshing that each slice of brisket didn't look like perfect clones.

That's how BBQ was/is outside of a sanctioned competition setting and how it should be (imo).

We were at the Bedford comp and watched a lot of the taping, as we were right behind their setup. It was interesting to watch how long the show took to tape. They literally made them open the coolers, and "act" like they were looking for the first time 5 times. They started their briskets in the middle of the night, so those were already cooking when they opened the coolers. The banter between the teams was begged for by the director/producers. The "watching the judges live" was done hours after the judges tasted their food, and they would start the tv, then ask them to comment on it multiple times for each 10 seconds of video. Especially Will, was beaten down and frustrated by the process, but he was asked to be on the show the week before, he never sent in a video.

It was fun to see the show made, and was great to meet Tuffy, Franklin and the King himself!!!!

All that for only a $2,000 purse? If they have to go through that the purse should be much higher.

And before anyone asks -- yes, if asked, I would probably compete on there just for the bragging rights. :)

Erik

Did you think they would just tape it in one shot and go with what they have?

If any of the teams didnt think that what you describe was exactly what was going to happen, they were mistaken.

Pretty sure the "General Lee" as its known, still belongs to Pitmaker, I could be wrong but it was not built for "Burnt Bean Company".

George and Victor do a good job of getting their products in the picture so to speak. Big Mista' does not own a Pitmaker either, but lo and behold there was both George and one of their pits on the show immediately afterwards that Dr.BBQ was on.

I was cooking right next to this show in Bedford and was shocked to see it there.

His winnings from the Chopped show were put towards a blacked out trailer with a Black Pitmaker vault on the back, you can see it on their facebook page, its pretty sweet.

And we do, do that here in Texas, whenever KCBS comes to town. :wink:

Yep, I figured it was borrowed equipment. I saw the General Lee pit last year at the SA rodeo. I saw his new black trailer/pit on his Facebook page, it is pretty cool. He calls it "La Bruja" which means the witch. lol

KCBS comes to TX only once a year right? I wouldn't mind doing a KCBS comp, just to say I did one. I don't mind doing pork and the turn in times are ok but I bet stressful. Garnish..I can do w/out. haha

All that for only a $2,000 purse? If they have to go through that the purse should be much higher.

And before anyone asks -- yes, if asked, I would probably compete on there just for the bragging rights. :)

Erik

Lockhart BBQ sold out yesterday in record time according to their Twitter feed. So, it's more than 2k worth of advertising.

As Fulldraw said, to see how the show was taped was very interesting. It was still up around 100 degrees that weekend and as I was packing up to leave Tuffy was still doing his spiel on how to cook a cowboy steak.

Yep, I figured it was borrowed equipment. I saw the General Lee pit last year at the SA rodeo. I saw his new black trailer/pit on his Facebook page, it is pretty cool. He calls it "La Bruja" which means the witch. lol

KCBS comes to TX only once a year right? I wouldn't mind doing a KCBS comp, just to say I did one. I don't mind doing pork and the turn in times are ok but I bet stressful. Garnish..I can do w/out. haha

There has been one KCBS for the last 4 years in Bedford and its growing annually. Good venue, well run comp,lots of good live Blues. Mostly Texas Teams with a sizeable contingent of Oklahoma teams who drop down.

Sams will be back this year in Texas according to Troy Black, I suspect San Antonio could be on the list as they have been to Houston / Conroe, Austin x 2 and Dallas. So, keep your eyes open.

Also, new event scheduled for Midland this year and there was a 1st Annual at Fort Bliss in El Paso last year.

Back