MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:59 PM   #1
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

Default Judged my first Comp...

I judged my first comp this past weekend. It was the Sertoma 48 in Lawrence, KS.

Congrats to the Meatheads for their 1st in chicken and 3rd overall.

You can look at turn in pRon here on the Brethren all day long but justice is not done until you see the real deal.

There were a lot of good looking boxes and some not so good.

Discussion go back and forth here on the Brethren on what cooks turn in and how it works for them.

Well this is what I saw.

Chicken- The majority of the boxes were thighs. Some were displayed skin up, others skin down. Both looked good. One entry at my table was breasts. There were two large boneless breasts with skin sitting side by side streaching from the top to the bottm of the box. They were sliced across into several portions. The entry would have scored higher on appearance if the skin was cleanly sliced. My piece was juicy and I scored it well on the two remaining criteria.

Ribs- I was expecting to see a lot of baby back entries. At my table there was only one. Every thing else were St. Louis cut spares. All looked good but some better than others. Some fell off the bone only where I took a bite, others fell off with my bite. I even had one that did not come off the bone.

Pork- My table had only five enties for pork. I was expecting to see a lot of pulled entries. We had one. Everything else was sliced and and chunked not chopped. One entry had almost inch thick slices. Over cooked was my first thought and over cooked it was. It just about fell apart when I picked it up.

Brisket- All the entries were sliced as expected. Some were just slices but others contained portions of chopped and some with burnt ends. One entry scored really well on appearance. As soon as I gripped it in the box, I knew scores were about to change. I picked it up and held it up. It stood straight up and did not flop over as the other entries did. When I tried to pull it apart, I had to pull pull pull until it finally came apart.

I scored my entries as honestly as I could. I was firm but fair.

Do I know it all? No, but being a member here helps trendously. I look forward to judging more. I look forward to compeating more. My wife even asked me when the next judge class was. It brought a tear to my eye. Man I love this hobby.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:03 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Congratulations and thanks for the nice report. Very interesting to hear your thought process.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mooner

Congrats on the judging. It's interesting to hear how entries were sent in and scored. Good job!

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers
Yoder ys1500 / Masterbuilt 1050 / Pit Barrel Cooker
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2007, 01:47 PM   #4
Arlin_MacRae

Great feedback from the tall chair!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2007, 02:01 PM   #5
Bigmista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppyboy View Post
Some fell off the bone only where I took a bite, others fell off with my bite. I even had one that did not come off the bone.
How does this happen? Overcooked, I understand. How do you turn in an undercooked rib? Don't you try one before you turn it in? My problem has always been holding meat until turn in time. Never trying to hurry up and get it cooked before time is up.

That is just amazing to me.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2007, 02:04 PM   #6
Double D
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Good to hear feedback , We judge as well as compete, Compete more than we judge, but you are right in being at the table its an EYE opening experiance.
[B]SCBA[/B]
[B]BWS [/B]competitor
[B]BWS [/B]party
life is to short for a half rack
Double D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2007, 02:07 PM   #7
Double D
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
How does this happen? Overcooked, I understand. How do you turn in an undercooked rib? Don't you try one before you turn it in? My problem has always been holding meat until turn in time. Never trying to hurry up and get it cooked before time is up.

That is just amazing to me.
I know what you are thinking. I use to be one of those teams that pushed the turn in window to close I wanted to go strate from the cooker to the turn in box. Needless to say it didn't always work.
[B]SCBA[/B]
[B]BWS [/B]competitor
[B]BWS [/B]party
life is to short for a half rack
Double D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2007, 02:08 PM   #8
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Great report PuppyBoy.

I always recommend that cooks judge some also.
I think it has really helped us.

Thanks,

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2007, 02:26 PM   #9
Bigmista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
I know what you are thinking. I use to be one of those teams that pushed the turn in window to close I wanted to go strate from the cooker to the turn in box. Needless to say it didn't always work.
I guess I'm kinda anal about being late. I'd rather be early.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2007, 02:36 PM   #10
Paola Greg
Full Fledged Farker

Thank you for judging there. I know it takes time out of a weekend and money to travel for a judge to go to a contest. I for one appreciate good judges, certified or not. Our scores this weekend at Lawrence were again very consistent and there are no complaints from us concerning the judging process and instructions currently in place.