Mold/Mildew On Smokewood...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Question...I was cleaning out and organizing my shed where I store my smokewoods and noticed some of the chunks and logs have a light coating of a dryish powdery mold or mildew on them. Should I dust it off and use or toss it in the woodpile for firewood?

When in doubt throw it out, Bro!
Or at the very least don't use it in a comp.

Pics not coming through.

I had some wood chunks mildew on me once, and it put off a nasty smell when it burned. I had to pull it off the smoker with tongs, and put fresh wood on.

You probably ought to test burn some of your wood before loading up your smoker with it.

CD

If you w stick burner dust it off burn it. But if you going to use a small quanity toss it.

I have some chunks with some little spots on them and was wondering the same thing so I looked around and found this statement on smokinlicious.com's Do's & Dont's site:

"DO consider sanitizing wood prior to throwing it away or burning it for heat. You can easily sanitize wood by mixing 1.5 oz. of bleach to 3 gallons of water. Be sure the wood is completely covered for 2 minutes, prior to removing and allowing to drip dry."

Now I haven't tried this yet as I've been using all of my clean smoke wood but I'm planning on eventually trying this.

When in doubt throw it out, Bro!
Or at the very least don't use it in a comp.

Pics not coming through.

Thanks Steph! That was my first thought...not all the wood is moldy...and some/most that are is just on the ends. I can see the pics ok from here...anyone else not seeing pics?
JD

JD - not seeing pics. links to pics are to what appears to be a secured site.

No pics here, JD.

As an aside, funny, I was reading about MILDEW in the latter part of ch. 14 in Leviticus (one of the books of the Jewish Pentateauch or the Christian Old Testament) just this morning. (No irreverence to the Good Book, but I highly suggest this book if you wake up at 3 AM and can't get back to sleep.) Anyway, ya don't hear too many preachers preach on the passage, but I'd suspect Moses might declare your smoke "unclean". :becky:

No pics here, JD.

As an aside, funny, I was reading about MILDEW in the latter part of ch. 14 in Leviticus (one of the books of the Jewish Pentateauch or the Christian Old Testament) just this morning. (No irreverence to the Good Book, but I highly suggest this book if you wake up at 3 AM and can't get back to sleep.) Anyway, ya don't hear too many preachers preach on the passage, but I'd suspect Moses might declare your smoke "unclean". :becky:

LOL! Definitely NOT Kosher...:becky:

I have some chunks with some little spots on them and was wondering the same thing so I looked around and found this statement on smokinlicious.com's Do's & Dont's site:

"DO consider sanitizing wood prior to throwing it away or burning it for heat. You can easily sanitize wood by mixing 1.5 oz. of bleach to 3 gallons of water. Be sure the wood is completely covered for 2 minutes, prior to removing and allowing to drip dry."

Now I haven't tried this yet as I've been using all of my clean smoke wood but I'm planning on eventually trying this.

John
I just can't imagine bleaching my wood..... It's probably good and all that but just sounds, umm, gross.

Put the chunks out in the open air (sun is best if you can get it) and let them dry out. It's been a wet and cold winter up here in the NW. I've seen dusting like that on wood that's been stored in a cold dark place - like a basement or near a garage foundation. It's not hazardous and typically goes away with a little dry time.

Back