MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
rw02kr43
Full Fledged Farker

Default Misc rib questions

I'm very new to cooking ribs. Or anything else for that matter. I have a few questions.
How do I get that membrane off the back of the ribs? I have tried slicing it, cutting it and it just won't seem to come off.

2. How do I get my ribs to look like the ones on tv with the piece of bone sticking out the end. Are they cut to look like that or does the meat shrink that much? The times I have smoked ribs they never shrink that much. They have come out quite tasty, but I want that look too.

Thanks for any help
Jason
rw02kr43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Membrane:

Flip the ribs bone side up, and take a butter knife and gently work the membrane loose at one end (the smaller end is usually easier). then grab the membrane with a paper towel (to give you a grip) and pull it off. Theoretically it will come off in one piece. Theory generally fails You may have to go back and pick off the remaining pieces.

Pull back:
No, they aren't cut that way. The meat pull back when the ribs are properly cooked (most of the time ).

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
StarvinMarvins
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Membrane Removal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_fqJcc4n_I

How are you trimming & cooking your ribs? I've never had a problem with the meat pulling back from the rib bone using St. Louis cut and a modified 3-2-1 method.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

One of the first things I would advise is to become familiar with this thread.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7818

It lists many threads that will help you become more familiar with how folks cook a wide variety of things. Now...

1. Removing membrane is easy, you cut just enough of the end to get the membrane seperated a little bit, then using a dish towel or paper towel, grab ahold of the corner and tear it off. If you are real good with a knife, maybe you can skin it way easier to just pull it off.

2. You are talking about what some refer to as pull back of the meat. It happens naturally as the meat cooks. For reasons that are not important to know, the meat will pull back from the ends of the bones and create that look. Not all ribs will pull back the same amount, meat being a natural ingredient and all.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
rw02kr43
Full Fledged Farker

Default pull back

Thanks everyone. I thought I had been cooking my ribs long enough as my thermometer says they are done. But maybe I haven't been. The meat doesn't seem to pull back at all. Could that be cause I haven't been able to get that membrane off before? I usually cook for a few hours over 250 on an offset smoker.

Jason

Old 01-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

A 'few' hours is kinda vague. I know that if I am cooking at 250F I am looking at 3-1/2 hours, at 225F it is more often 4 hours. I do not use a thermometer, I prefer using the bend method and probe method to determine when the meat is done. If I probe the meat between the joints with dull metal skewer and it goes in real easy, or if I pick up one end of the rack and the other ends flops down, I figure I am done cooking.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw02kr43 View Post
Thanks everyone. I thought I had been cooking my ribs long enough as my thermometer says they are done. But maybe I haven't been. The meat doesn't seem to pull back at all. Could that be cause I haven't been able to get that membrane off before? I usually cook for a few hours over 250 on an offset smoker.

Jason
4 hours for loin backs (bbacks) and 6 for St Louis cut at 250. I do St Louis and use 3-2-1 for comp and usually do dry rub only for eating. May or may not wrap.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
rw02kr43
Full Fledged Farker

Default time

It's usually been about 3 hours at 250 for the ribs I have been cooking. Only using a dry rub so far. Then sauce on the side. I am going to try some different things this spring though. I've never foiled them, I might try that too.

Jason

Old 01-21-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
HumboldtSmokeBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I found it alot easier to remove the membrane after I cut my spare to St. Louis style...Maybe that is why you are having trouble?

Old 01-21-2010, 02:28 PM   #10
IronStomach
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
It's usually been about 3 hours at 250 for the ribs I have been cooking. Only using a dry rub so far. Then sauce on the side. I am going to try some different things this spring though. I've never foiled them, I might try that too.

Jason

What kind of cooker are you using? Even at the same temp, the source of heat matters (direct vs. indirect).

What kind of ribs? As Ford mentioned, babybacks will be done quicker than spares/St. Louis.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #11
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

I've found that wal-mart ribs don't pull back at the bone nearly as much as the ribs get at the butcher shop. As far as the membrane just grab a corner and peel it off, like tape.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #12
D0ughB0y
Take a breath!

I've only done a bit over a dozen racks of ribs, but I've never had pull back like I see in some of the pics.
D0ughB0y is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #13
rw02kr43
Full Fledged Farker

Default smoker

I'm using an offset smoker. Usually kingsford briquettes with some wood for smoke. So Indirect heat. I also have a pretty good size water pan in the cooking chamber.

Jason

Old 01-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #14
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0ughB0y View Post
I've only done a bit over a dozen racks of ribs, but I've never had pull back like I see in some of the pics.
Low n slow, low n slow. I've never not had them pull back. 4.5 to 6
hours on babybacks (depending on air circulation), and 6 to 7 on
st. louis spares (depends on air circulation). They'll pull back. There's
too much fat rendering to have them not pull back. Then again, if
the fat isn't rendering, you have no pull-back and other problems too...

250 degrees (on the surface of your cooker); no more.

You may wrap them in foil after 1.5 hrs BB's or 2.0 hrs st. louis spares...
Less smoke on them and keeps moisture inside and better facilitates
fat rendering.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2010, 03:01 PM   #15
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
I'm using an offset smoker. Usually kingsford briquettes with some wood for smoke. So Indirect heat. I also have a pretty good size water pan in the cooking chamber.

Jason
Forget the thermometer on the outside of the cooker. What is the
temperature on the cooking surface inside?
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote