MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:36 AM   #1
AR Pork Producer
Knows what a fatty is.

Default BBQ to go!

I'm wanting to smoke some meat at home to take to my sons' house. He lives one and a half hour away. I'm thinking about a 10 pound boston butt with bone in. I usually smoke these at 220 degrees yo a internal temp of 190 or so. I have a very thick styrofoam cooler that holds temp pretty good. My question is, do I need to pull the meat about 10 degrees early if I wrap and put in the cooler. I have read where it it gain about 10 degrees if you wrap and let it sit. I think the meat will still be good and warm by the time I get there. I am looking for any suggestions as I have never let meat set this long before eating. This would be easier than loading the cooker and doing it there.

AR Pork Producer

Old 08-15-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

for butts-- smoke to 200 internal,double wrap in foil then a damp towel or newspaper,& into the cooler. it'll still be hot enough to burn your fingers when ya get there.no need to pull the pork off early.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

blues n cue got it right there.......I travel butts to South Carolina from Florida like that all the time....and it more of a 10 hour drive,
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2009, 07:17 AM   #4
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Ditto what blues n cues said. I take ribs to a friends house an hour away from home with this method.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Like the others, I've found 200 to be the target temp for butt. If that cooler is truly going to hold as well as a good plastic cooler, then pull it off the smoker around 193. If you are concerned that the syrofoam cooler may not be as good, wrap the butt in a towel then put in in the cooler.

That butt will remain hot for hours in the right holder. I usually have mine off by 9 am and hold them in an Igloo til afternoon.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
AR Pork Producer
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for the help!

AR Pork Producer