MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
SteevieG
On the road to being a farker

Default Unique, it seems anyway, opportunity

I have no experience cooking for money. I cook for friends and family. One of my friends and business associates has recently purchased a vacant service station on about an acre of land that he plans to use as a landscape shop (mulch, fertilizer, etc.). He has been a very successful landscaper for many years.

The property he bought is on a very busy road between Atlanta and Athens Georgia and according to the survey he quoted has between 40,000 and 60,000 cars a day go by. He has asked me to have a 'roadside' barbeque stand on his property. No rent and he'll supply me with all the wood I need. He owns many acres of timber land as well. He is also the best salesman I've ever seen. He can talk to anyone about most anything and nobody doesn't like him.

One issue that concerns me is the location. It sounds great, but I don't know. On one side is a Waffle House and on the other is a Burger King. If that isn't enough there is a Shane's Rib Shack directly across the street, clearly visible, in a Kroger shopping center... Daunting competition perhaps.

Another issue is that I do have a 40 hour + per week job. Now, I live close to work and the property in question is even closer so proximity isn't really an issue.

Add to the fact that, while everyone seems to likes my 'que, I have no experience at all in the business. I have a WSM and a small off-set, that's all. I do think my food is quality and people would enjoy it, but I would definately have to upgrade my equipment. I would start smallish, but there will be, to me, a significant cash investment. I'm guessing in the $4, 000 range just to get started. My thought is 4 of the 22-1/2" WSMs and a trailer I have already. Then I'd need to get warmers, and other things. Maybe $4,000 is high but that's the number I have in my head.

My head is spinning with the fantastic possibilities, but the potential problems as well. Any advice wil be most welcomed. I'm sure there are several thousand things I haven't even thought of (I have thought of permits and licenses, etc) and need to know about.

Please help!!! Please?

18.5" WSM
22.5 WSM
And a nice propane grill that gets very little use anymore...
SteevieG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't know about the other "obstacles" you mentioned, but having those other food joints won't hurt you IMO - when I see a roadside vendor on my way to a meal, I stop there! Always (well, almost) much better than the chain joints.

Let us know what you decide. God's blessings!

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Actually, the chain joint will be sick seeijng you over there across the street worse than you seeing them. If you get all the legalities, post a big sign with your phone number.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

Look at zoning, health dept and then business license/insurances. Once you've squeezed thru these hoops, your next consideration is consistency - Nothing can make or break a business like consistentcy - Hours, product, appearance, etc. You also need to know your business partner, and his long term goals, etc. Given the info you've provided, there's a lot of work to do before considering equipment, and even some experienced folks might run the other way before going thru all the due diligence.

Agree with Shane, being across the street from a chain could be a very good thing.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
BBQ Grail

I can't help you with direct advice other than to listen to the likes of C Rocke. I'd also want to get the advice of other "roadside" guys. Someone like BBQ Bubba would be good.

You appear to have a great grasp on what is a head of you. What you probably don't realize is that no matter how hard you think it's going to be, it's not as hard as it's really going to be.

Take C Rocke's advice and get all the "admin" stuff out of the way before starting to explore the other stuff.

Good luck...

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
MilitantSquatter

I wish you the best of luck but don't quit your dayjob just yet...

try it out on weekends or on vacation days.. make sure it's what you like and worthy of your effort and abilities.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

4k is way under what you will spend. Don't forget refrigeration, storage, and all other kinds of little odds and ends you will need. I think you have a great opp and would jump all over it, just make sure that you get a contract with your friend, never ever do a gentlemens agreement. Good luck.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

Health Dept issues would be my biggest concern. Any food vendor in close proximity to any other food vendor is closely watched. You will be closely watched by your competition, and any small issue will be reported by them. Health Dept statistics show that a majority of "reports" come from other restaurants. Do your research.
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:45 PM   #9
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

Regardless of where you set up, you gotta serve up good food. If the food is good, you will get a reputation and business will grow. I think one thing to know is that if the place accross the street gets a good crowd, there are possible customers. But if it is too hot or too cold or raining, then the business will probably suffer due to folks having to be in the elements. Another thing to remember is that some folks like to do a sit down thing for lunch and not eat in their car or leaning up against a tree.

As far as the smokers go.... Forget the WSM's. They will not handle the capacity that you need. I mean if you want to cook enough food to make a living that is....

I wish you luck in whatever you choose to do. I would probably start with some catering first and see if you can hack cooking and cleaning all day. What is you day job anyway?

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #10
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteevieG View Post
I have no experience cooking for money.

He can talk to anyone about most anything and nobody doesn't like him.

Add to the fact that, while everyone seems to likes my 'que, I have no experience at all in the business. I have a WSM and a small off-set, that's all. I do think my food is quality and people would enjoy it, but I would definately have to upgrade my equipment. I would start smallish, but there will be, to me, a significant cash investment. I'm guessing in the $4, 000 range just to get started. My thought is 4 of the 22-1/2" WSMs and a trailer I have already. Then I'd need to get warmers, and other things. Maybe $4,000 is high but that's the number I have in my head.

The other guys covered the big points such as legal etc but I have to say that unless you can build a cooker yourself then 4,000 is too low and you don't want several cookers going at the same time, one rig and a grill would be ideal IMO. Granted I startd off with 150.00 in my pocket but I had the free use of a pub kitcken and made about 40.00 on a Saturday cooking all day for customers and saved every penny I could. The family ate left over BBQ till the next weekend and so forth and so on.

All I can say is if you are going to do it then head face first and get stuck in. Remember never stop pushing forward no matter how thick that wall is!

Best of luck to you.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:56 PM   #11
landarc

From the standpoint of someone that has worked on snack bar, catering hut and park buildings, I can tell you that the health department thing does not have to be horrible. We make an effort to contact the agency, honestly lay out what we are doing and get a solid list of requirements to work from. Take names and make calls, communication is gonna be key.

What C Rocke said is really important, when I was cooking is a restaurant, every day that I did not do exactly the same thing, people noticed. Consistency is really important. People who cook commercially must be able to produce the same level and taste of product or they will not develop the clientele that is crucial to success. Also, really consider sourcing of ingredients, our restaurant owner never did that and it was a problem. Often I ended up running around at 3pm looking for ingredients for the kitchen to open at 5pm. That really was bad business. Losing those two hours to shopping was bad for prep.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote