More Smoked Cheese!

Rookie'48

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I tried something a bit different today. I've done Velveta once before, so I decided to try Philly Cream Cheese in the Ugly Cheese Bucket. It was only 58* here today, so that helped a bunch. In the two top pics we have on the first row: Montery Jack and Velveta.
Second row: Black Diamond Canadian Cheddar; Habanero Jack (x2); Emmental; and the Philly.
Bottom row: Swiss and Mozzarella
In the last pic is a close-up of the Cream Cheese after smoking.
It's all resting in the fridge right now & will be vacu-sucked (& sampled) tomorrow.

Attachments

• 100_1190.jpg
    100_1190.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 165
  • 100_1191.jpg
    100_1191.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 164
  • 100_1193.jpg
    100_1193.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 164
Yep, nice job!
Everything's better on a Ritz.
And, in my opinion cheese is liken to bacon...especially smoked cheese!

i've been wanting to try smoking some cheese for sometime now. just curious, what type wood did you use? have you experimented with different types of wood?

What a great assortment. Velveeta to Canadian Black Diamond Cheddar. Be very interesting to see what your take is on each of them.

Looks great Dave. Are all those coming to St. Joe with you this weekend? :wink:

Good looking cheese! How did the cream cheese come out?

i've been wanting to try smoking some cheese for sometime now. just curious, what type wood did you use? have you experimented with different types of wood?

I use alder myself. It's a milder flavor so it won't overpower the
cheese like some other woods.

That looks great! We haven't smoked cheese since before Christmas. I'm wanting some now! Nice selection of cheeses.

when I saw smoking cheese and cream cheese both I thought that would be a real mess!
Im amazed it held together...and the velveeta too, it must have been at a REAL LOW temp.

OK, here's the link to the Ugly Cheese Bucket: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47408&highlight=sorta+kinda+pellet+head . As you can see, it puts out very little heat but lots of smoke. I've been using hickory tree turds that I got from BBQ_Mayor (Ray). On this cook I mixed the hickory with some sugar maple.
Tonight I tasted the Emmental, Habanero Jack and the Philly. They all turned out pretty good with a fairly heavy smoke flavor, but not so much that they were bitter.
All in all, I think that everything is going to turn out pretty good on this batch, but I'll take some of it with me to St. Joe this weekend for a second, third, fourth, etc. opinion :rolleyes:.
Thanx for the comments & I'll be doing another Ugly Cheese Bucket build later with pics.

Back