MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
jack040806
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Need the Brethren, how do I...

I really want to try burnt ends, but I'm clueless. How do I go about making this delightful little treat? I am also curious what sauce you use on them, I know that most are unwilling to give away their recipe's but any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I usually take the brisket point, cube it up, then throw it back on the smoker with a coating of sauce. When they're good and dark, MMMMMMMMm.........

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
smythers1968
On the road to being a farker

BBQ enthusiasts know what burnt ends are. Technically, burnt ends are the crispy crusty bits of brisket that fall off the edges when slicing. After those became so popular as a "side dish," pitmasters created a process to make their own burnt ends from the point of the brisket.
A whole brisket is comprised of two different sections: the flat and the point. Most BBQ joints serve the flat since it is leaner. The point isn't as desirable because it is fattier than the flat. In Texas, we tend to not make this distinction. Restaurants, patrons are given the option of "lean" or "little bit of flavor" for their brisket -- flavor being the fat.
When cooking at home, I reserve the point of the brisket, cut it into cubes and return them to the smoker.
Here's how you do it.

• 1 cooked brisket "point," separated from the "flat"
  • 2 TBSP brisket rub or seasoning
  • 2 TBSP BBQ sauce
After a whole brisket has smoked to doneness, trim the flat away from the point and serve the flat to your guests. Slice the point into 1 inch cubes, removing any large areas of fat.
Toss the cubes with the rub and the sauce. Place in a pan inside your smoker for another 2-3 hours at around 200 degrees.
The results are these flavorful, smoky, chewy bits of meat that will leave you breathless.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:08 PM   #4
jack040806
is one Smokin' Farker

Cool, thank you. I am going to need to do this soon. I want to do them tomorrow but who knows what the weather is going to do?

Old 01-23-2009, 11:26 PM   #5
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

i have a few ways..

cube up the point, at least an each square,if not a little bigger.

option 1. Coat them with sauce, and put them on a hot grill till the sauce carmelizes.

option B. re-season with some rub and put back in the pit till they get dark and crispy, sauce a few times if u like.

option III. Reseason with rub and a light glaze.. put them in a pan with some holes in the bottom to drain grease and put in the pit.

I dont like them to burnt. I only put them back till the sauce sets.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote