Pit comparison

T

tumpedover

Ok, I know this has been done till we're blue in the face...I searched the roadmap and couldn't find just what I was looking for so I'll ask y'all here!:biggrin:

I am in the market (within the next 3-4 mo's.) to buy a new offset. I'm pretty sure I want another offset (it's just what I like). I have owned or still do own, A lyfe Tyme trailer 24" w/84" main chamber w/ upright, the Gator -Texas Legend, a couple home made tank type pits, a Pitts and Spitts,as well as several horizontal drums,and a couple WSM's. With that said, I pretty much know what type of smoker I want ,I would just like some input on other stuff besides those I've owned.
I definatley want at least a 24" dia. not really bigger than 30". I definatley want an upright and I would at least like the option of having at least the firebox and the upright insulated .I definatley want tuning plates and a baffle as well. I want it to be heavy duty.Not 1/2" or noithin' ,but you know, stout!! I want to be able to cook at least 25 or more butts at a time although I may not, but 25 is bare minimum. I want something well built (obviously) and I want it for free:biggrin:....seriously I don't have an unlimited budget like I did when I bought the T.L.:wink: (yeah right) ....I would like to spend $4K or so obviously less is more:rolleyes:....THat probably rules out the Klose and probably the Gator as well (sucks, b'cause I'm definatley a Gator guy!) unless it's used wich I'm open to.
I'm not getting rid of my Lyfe Tyme, but I'm temporarily moving back to TEXAS!!!:eusa_clap:biggrin:, and I need another pit to travel with me,as I will leave my Lyfe Tyme with the Ministry I work with here in Atlanta.
Any and all help woul,d be appreciated. If you need more info on what I want ask away!!!

I don't think there is a pit like you described made anywhere in the world in your price bracket ($4000). What your describing is pretty standard until you get to the insulated upright and firebox. Those two items with double the price of the cooker.

Sawdustguy said:
I don't think there is a pit like you described made anywhere in the world in your price bracket ($4000). What your describing is pretty standard until you get to the insulated upright and firebox. Those two items with double the price of the cooker.

I realize that the $4k is base price,probably in the $3.5K-$4K range,but I definatley disagree that insulating would double the price. I have done some researchand,everything I've seen so far indicates that insulating the firebox on the pit will run around $6-$700 and about the same or maybe close to $800 fopr the upright. that gets me up to around the $5.2-$5.5K range. I guess I should have clarified that point. Although the $4k range is better:biggrin: .I just thought maybe there would be some pits out there I haven't seen ,and you guys might know about them

The_Kapn said:
John,
Have you looked at Lang?
http://www.pigroast.com/

Very serviceable pits.

Lots and lots of builders out there now.

TIM

Actually Kapn, I'm leaning really hard toward the 84.....I've seen lots around and talked to lots of people who use 'em.I 've never had the pleasure myself though. Any pros-n- Cons for me??

tumpedover said:
Actually Kapn, I'm leaning really hard toward the 84.....I've seen lots around and talked to lots of people who use 'em.I 've never had the pleasure myself though. Any pros-n- Cons for me??

Several of the Brothers own the 84 and I am sure they will chime in.
Kevin (HomeBBQ) competed with one for several years and did "Really well" with an 84.

Real popular down in this neck of the woods.
They are a "great value" cooker that gets the job done.

Good luck on your search.

TIM

MokanMeathead (Wayne) has a Lang 60 which he's talked about selling for a Spicewine at some point. Smaller than what you are looking for it sounds, but he can give you some insight into Lang.

I have the 24" double and that thing holds the temps even when I am n central Ontario.

John,
You know what I think! If you want to cook on the Lang, you just have to let me know. I realize that mine is a 60, but it will give you an idea. $4K will buy a heck of a lot of smoker from Ben Lang.

nmayeux said:
John,
You know what I think! If you want to cook on the Lang, you just have to let me know. I realize that mine is a 60, but it will give you an idea. $4K will buy a heck of a lot of smoker from Ben Lang.

Let me know when and where Noah...I'd love a chance to cook on your pit!!
I'll bring the Shiner Bock:biggrin:

I'll let you know, but please understand that mine is better than new! It lives in the garage, while the cars live outside!:biggrin:

tumpedover said:
I realize that the $4k is base price,probably in the $3.5K-$4K range,but I definatley disagree that insulating would double the price. I have done some researchand,everything I've seen so far indicates that insulating the firebox on the pit will run around $6-$700 and about the same or maybe close to $800 fopr the upright. that gets me up to around the $5.2-$5.5K range. I guess I should have clarified that point. Although the $4k range is better:biggrin: .I just thought maybe there would be some pits out there I haven't seen ,and you guys might know about them

I cooked on Superbowl Sunday on my Klose MasterChef, and did find that I needed an insulated smoke chamber (in this case the horizontal) to hold 225, as it was about -5F with 30 mph winds. The hot water heater blanket I bought from Lowes for $15 definately didn't double the cost of the smoker!

Dave Klose told me that the insulated firebox was a waste of money when I was spec'ing out the MC, FYI.

woo hoo, glad you are coming back to God's country. whereabouts exactly?

tj

tjus77 said:

tj
TJ,
He's going to Texas, not South Georgia!:biggrin:

tumpedover said:

Before you buy, I have a Lang 84 and it is a very drafty cooker, It is as far from efficient as you can get for a cooker. To insulate such a cooker you need to double wall the cooker basically using twice the maretial and labor. If you are interested in the Lang, as Ben Lang the manufacturer. Be aware on the Lang that you will need to attend the cooker at least once an hour until you learn the cooker.

Plowboy said:
MokanMeathead (Wayne) has a Lang 60 which he's talked about selling for a Spicewine at some point. Smaller than what you are looking for it sounds, but he can give you some insight into Lang.

John - I know you are looking at traditional offsets - but for the volume you are wanting to cook, I would think you might also want to consider a Kingfisher. The rotisserie in them really gives you ALOT of cooking space.
$3-5K will get you anywhere between 4-6 trays. Plowboy has his Kingfisher Commercial for sale (www.bbqtrader.com) - and new ones are readily available at www.kck.com . just something to consider - some of the same cooking technique of your traditional offset, but alot more volume for the amount of steel you are working with.

Dave could chime in as well - but they are a no brainer for cooking 25 butts.

We put additional "tall" racks in the commercial, doubling the space, and cooked 60 butts.

http://www.bbquepits.com/portable_trailer_bbq_smokers.htm

tjus77 said:

tj

Tj, I'm going deep into Gods country.....Midland Odessa area......Real deep.....a far cry from the old golden triangle eh? !:mrgreen:

An don't mind Noah, He's breathed so much smoke he gets confused!!! Or is that from the beer...either way he's confused:wink:...

Oh and Sawdust guy.....
I'm not 100% sold on the lang but it is definatley in the running...Others I'm considering are the Diamond Plate 70 http://diamondplateproducts.com/.... the SMokey Joe's Caterer http://smokeyjoesmokers.com/index.html , and Old Country http://www.bbquepits.com/portable_trailer_bbq_smokers.htm
As well as a few others.....Y'all check these out and tell me what you think...Right now, and I'm definatley not settled 100% yet, these are the top runners. If any one has any input on any of these as well I would love to here it!:biggrin:

nmayeux said:
TJ,
He's going to Texas, not South Georgia!:biggrin:

now as nice as Ga seems to be..... it just ain't God's country. of course I would probably hear that Texas ain't either from nearly every other state... welll maybe not Mississippi .... lol... j/k :tongue:

bloom where you are planted I always say!

HoDeDo said:
John - I know you are looking at traditional offsets - but for the volume you are wanting to cook, I would think you might also want to consider a Kingfisher. The rotisserie in them really gives you ALOT of cooking space.
$3-5K will get you anywhere between 4-6 trays. Plowboy has his Kingfisher Commercial for sale (www.bbqtrader.com) - and new ones are readily available at www.kck.com . just something to consider - some of the same cooking technique of your traditional offset, but alot more volume for the amount of steel you are working with.

Dave could chime in as well - but they are a no brainer for cooking 25 butts.

We put additional "tall" racks in the commercial, doubling the space, and cooked 60 butts.
I will say that Dave's (Chad) Kingfisher rotisserie is a pretty nice outfit. I like that the firebox is centered between the two cooking chambers. Its been a while since I saw that beast in action.:sad: Anyway, here is a pic, but I do not claim to have any relations with the two in the shot:twisted: :

Attachments

• Capn 3.jpg
    Capn 3.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 137
Back